Make updating EASIER!

jwiede

Make updating EASIER!

Postby jwiede » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:53 am

I'm filing this as a bug, because currently the update process is onerous, and risky / error-prone due to the need to manually remove the 20+ separate plugins in an existing Kray3 install with every update.

There's no "bulk delete" in Edit Plugins in LW, nor does LW even auto-select the next plugin in the list. Unfortunately, that's unlikely to change any time soon, either -- I've got feature reqs filed with Newtek on those issues that have been in "OPEN" status for many, many years. Having to do "click Kray* plugin, press 'Delete' button, repeat" manually over 20 times to remove an existing Kray revision is HORRIBLE UX by any rational standard. Even filtering the list doesn't solve the issue because the 'Clear' button still clears _ALL_ plugins not just the filtered subset.

Other plugins figured out ways to avoid the need for updates requiring mass deletions over and over manually, either packaging plugins differently so they don't come up as dozens of distinct plugins requiring deletion (see ODTools for a GREAT example of that), providing installers/updaters, or such. Kray's now become one of the "worst-case offenders" in that regard, given the sheer number of plugins manifested and requiring manual deletion.

Please either restructure how the plugins manifest themselves, or provide some more user-friendly means of handling updates. It's great seeing more frequent updates from y'all, but it's creating a new pain point as well. That isn't so great and is further worsening with time (the install keeps adding more Kray plugins).

Also, while I'm at it: If Kray3.0 is a "release product", why is there no menu .cfg or such provided in the package (or even as a separate download on the Download page)? Having users dig around the forums to find the current version of Kray3 .cfg to use isn't really "good UX" either.

ZodiaQ

Re: Make updating EASIER!

Postby ZodiaQ » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:22 am

Updating in fact is not that hard. No need to remove kray plugins in LW. Just overwrite existing files in Kray directory with new ones and start LW :D
I must agree however that some sort of installer, or at least grouping files for specific LW versions would be a good addition especially to attract new users because it is indeed not always clear what has to go where. I've had to ask several times in the past. And I know of some people that abandoned Kray because they couldn't manage to get it installed properly during first try.
Sometimes you have to come up with a solution for your problems yourself ;-)
I fixed this 'problem' by putting each new release in the same 'update directory' and just use directory syncing software to replace the Kray Files in the LW plugin directory. As long as there are no new files added to kray this method of updating is very easy and takes 20 seconds. Update ready!

The menu you're right thought, should be in the install folder!

Janusz Biela

Postby Janusz Biela » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:43 pm

There is not yet installer ready. It is not necessary for full release status.
Please remember that LW plugin is only "side" K3 Core Project. G. must work on SDK with LW2015, LW2018, PRO100, Google SketchUp.
It is almost impossible to find good coder to help him and I AM ALONE AS BETA TESTER ...because you need a lot knowledge to do that and is really, REALLY difficult catch bug, suspected it is or no, strip scene.
There was some bugs which I hunt 2-4 months! because they where very deep and random. Sometimes procedures for repeat bug are complicate that I forget after while to check G. fixed correctly (download my scene from bug tracker and checking with reading what I wrote there...)
Since 2 years I posted over 250 bugs.
Do not expect so much, please.
Be patience and always think: I am always here to help. I check forum very often and I answer PM almost immediately.
FYI
I do not get any money for this. I do it because is such pleasure working with G. (he is pure coder genius) and I love LW and Kray even if is missing a lot parts or features.

ZodiaQ

Postby ZodiaQ » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:38 am

I'm gonna do some digging to see if I can come up with some sort of installer (at least for Windows).
Shouldn't be too hard.

Janusz Biela

Postby Janusz Biela » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:42 pm

AVLKray wrote:I'm gonna do some digging to see if I can come up with some sort of installer (at least for Windows).
Shouldn't be too hard.

I put it also on Feature Tracker:
https://www.kraytracing.com/bugtracker/ ... ask_id=243

Janusz Biela

Postby Janusz Biela » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:21 pm

We have now docs folder with installation procedures.
We back to full auto installation later.

Return to “Bug report”