New PC setup recommendation needed

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
Lux

Re: New PC setup recommendation needed

Post by Lux »

I need the information. What is PC system requirements for Kray3 (minimum requirements and good requirements)?

Is it true for Kary3 is important a good and fast Processor (CPU) and the Video card (GPU) is not important?
Kray3 is CPU render?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Whether the Processor is important for Kray:
--- a lot's of cores (cores 4, 6, 8, ....)
--- or the processor speed (Processor Base and Max Turbo Frequency)?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have to choose, what would be the best choice:
1) Intel Core i7-7700K (8M Cache, 4.20 GHz up to 4.50 GHz), 4 cores
2) Intel Core i7-6700K (8M Cache, 4.00 GHz up to 4.20 GHz) , 4 cores
3) Intel Xeon Processor E3-1245 v5 (8M Cache, 3.50 GHz up to 3.90 GHz), 4 cores
4) ... or something else (for example: Intel Xeon E5.....).

Processors Compare information: https://ark.intel.com/compare/88195,97129,88173

Which is better Processor for Kray render and why?
# RAM minimum requirements 16GB? (32GB is better)?
# My choice of Video card would be -> Nvidia Quadro M4000 (8 GB GDDR5, CUDA Cores 1664). Is it Okey?

Thanks advance.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

Lux wrote:I need the information. What is PC system requirements for Kray3 (minimum requirements and good requirements)?

Is it true for Kary3 is important a good and fast Processor (CPU) and the Video card (GPU) is not important?
Hi
The more CPU the better.
Right now GPU is not important.

Lux wrote:Kray3 is CPU render?
Yes but K3 has GPU support also (not activated yet). In future K3 will work in hybrid mode: CPU/GPU in the same time.
Lux wrote:-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Whether the Processor is important for Kray:
--- a lot's of cores (cores 4, 6, 8, ....)
--- or the processor speed (Processor Base and Max Turbo Frequency)?
I think more cores, even if less cores solution has more frequency.
Max Turbo Frequency has nothing to do with faster rendering. This technology has other target. During rendered you use 100% base CPU frequency and this is maximum what you get. The Max Turbo Frequency works only in special situation for software which can`t use all CPU (for example Excel or Word) and it boost a bit speed for these software by increasing temporary CPU frequency of one Core.
So for rendering important is nominal base frequency, Max Turbo Frequency doesn't work.
Lux wrote:If I have to choose, what would be the best choice:
1) Intel Core i7-7700K (8M Cache, 4.20 GHz up to 4.50 GHz), 4 cores
2) Intel Core i7-6700K (8M Cache, 4.00 GHz up to 4.20 GHz) , 4 cores
3) Intel Xeon Processor E3-1245 v5 (8M Cache, 3.50 GHz up to 3.90 GHz), 4 cores
4) ... or something else (for example: Intel Xeon E5.....).

Processors Compare information: https://ark.intel.com/compare/88195,97129,88173
Only Dual Xeon E5 familly with minimum 10 Cores (total 40 HT) - other options waste time and money (I know they are expensive but if you calculate time render, smooth job, general work time...is cheaper). Do not think about i7.
Lux wrote:Which is better Processor for Kray render and why?
The more CPU the better. K2 and K3 support also new Xeons v04 so you can have even 80 threats and more (in dual configuration)
Lux wrote: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# RAM minimum requirements 16GB? (32GB is better)?
Do not waste time and money : minimum 64 GB - it will allow you render 2-3 Lightwave scenes opened in the same time for example in overnight - save a lot time. Do not worry about Xeon - is just impossible to "burn"them - they are build for extreme working :evil:
Lux wrote: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# My choice of Video card would be -> Nvidia Quadro M4000 (8 GB GDDR5, CUDA Cores 1664). Is it Okey?
This I do not know. Now for Kray it doesn`t matter what GPU you have (except that OpenGL will be faster in Layout/Modeler)
When we get working K3 in GPU then this amount of CUDA Cores is enough for the beginning.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

...one more think: on YouTube you have a lot video with Cinebench R15 with many different CPU. You just focus on the multi CPU scores.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ebench+r15
thomas

Post by thomas »

Honestly, the market has matured so much that it becomes simple: you get what you pay for speedwise: double the money gets you double the operations, and this goes for both CPU and GPU.

Personally, after wasting a lot of time looking for the "holy grail" of best price/performance ratio, I decided it was a waste of time, because it's really quite simple, give or take a bit of variation: if you have 2000 euro, you can buy a processor (or graphics card) that is twice as fast as when you have 1000 euro. If you have 4000 euro it will be double as fast again, compared to 2000 euro.

So the question becomes quite simple: how much do you want to spend?
thomas

Post by thomas »

Oh yeah! One important comment: what I wrote above is only valid for PCs. With Mac, always go for the cheapest processor, because the increase in processor speed you get for your money with Apple is very, very disproportionate - and still no i7 processors in their iMacs, after all these years!!!
Lux

Post by Lux »

Thank you all for reply.

Janusz, which Xeon processor model do you mean? Xeon E5 family, but what would be a good choice (E5 v3 and E5 v4) for Dual Xeon (2x E5) computer?
1) E5-2630 v4 (10 Cores / 20 Threads, 2,20 GHz) ? (2x total 20C / 40 Th.)
2) E5-2640 v4 (10 Cores / 20 Threads, 2,40 GHz) ? (2x total 20C / 40 Th.)
...or something else?

What Xeon E5 v3 recommend? Or v4 is today better?

But if I don't have the money for Dual Xeon (2x CPU), then what Xeon CPU (1x CPU) recommend for K3?
promity

Post by promity »

I have two workstations - each with a set of two Intel Xeon's, Nvidia Quadro video card, etc. Everything was bought on Ebay. At a price of about 6-5 times lower than the market.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

I think v4 now is the best solution.
With good configuration you will get 5600 pts in CineBench R15. This is really monster.
Everything depends from budget but DO NOT GO to Single Dual. The power of Xeon is in Dual configuration.
Alexis

Post by Alexis »

And for video card? :lol:

I want to change my workstation. Currently I use Quadro 4200, GTX Pascal or 1080 Ti is better for the layout in lightwave ?
promity wrote:I have two workstations - each with a set of two Intel Xeon's, Nvidia Quadro video card, etc. Everything was bought on Ebay. At a price of about 6-5 times lower than the market.
You buy xeon ES on ebay?

Thank you
promity

Post by promity »

Yes, I bought a Xeon's on ebay.
For work with 3d software you don't need GTX card - they are an order of magnitude worse in 3d applications of even the cheapest professional cards.