Brown beer bottle shading

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
Fabian-Eshloraque

Brown beer bottle shading

Post by Fabian-Eshloraque »

Hi kray users,

I need to make a brown glass shader for kray. (I can do it in lightwave native with materials - but I need it for kray) Its for beer bottles (loads of them)

Here's an example I'm looking for:
example_brownglass.jpg
I tried several setups, but they only work for clear white glass. And when I use diffuse value's lower then 10% value's, the brown becomes totally black. I also noticed that brown glass is not 100% transparent but somewhere around 65%.
thomas

Re: Brown beer bottle shading

Post by thomas »

1) Do you want the imperfections in there as well or can it be "cleaner"?
2) Are they always going to be used empty, or also filled with beer?

T
thomas

Post by thomas »

Also, do you have a model for us to work on, and which properties are important or not important for you to recreate? For instance, the subtle variation in color at the top of the bottle, where it gets darker - and do you want to shade this or could it be in a colour map?

I'm a bit puzzled: I would you to have a killer material for this, Fabian!
Fabian-Eshloraque

Hi Thomas,

No worries about the imperfections, thats for the texturing/zbrush part. I'm gonna fill them with beer later on. (I allready duplicated the inner part for the beer polygons) The model is not double sided, it has an outer shell of 1 sided polygons and an inner shell of 1 sided polygons so that there is thickness.

I'm just looking for a correct shader setup for kray to use. (dielectric does not work in kray - especially not the absorption function to colorize the glass)
Fabian-Eshloraque

Hi Thomas,

Here's the model: (Im not gonna tell which Beer it is)
basic_bottle.lwo
(215.68 KiB) Downloaded 270 times
The colors and imperfections we allready have, no need to make them (except if you want to post them on this forum) I'm just looking for a working kray shader setup (like the one in maya/vray - or lightwave/dielectric) because I dont want to mix renderengines.

Grtz
thomas

Post by thomas »

That could very well be Duvel or Vedett :D

Well, if it's Vedett then it wouldn't be brown. Then again, there's plenty of other brands using the same bottle so who knows!

I still need to ask: will there always be beer in the bottle, or never, or both?
Fabian-Eshloraque

Hi Thomas,

I would like to do beer in the bottle, but they are instanced a milllion times - so it will depend a bit on the rendering time. So I have to answer both.

(Maybe I tell you its brown while it should be green - cause colors are very easy to change? And yes - kasteelbier and many french local beers use this type a bottle. Its the second cheapest type of bottle to buy in a beer glass factory) :twisted:

grtz
Fabian-Eshloraque

This is the render with dielectric material (brown color +absorption 500%) So having the same in kray would be great. (the dielectric in kray gives weird effect)
dielectric_absorption500.jpg
thomas

Post by thomas »

I messed around a little - ZIP coming up in 10 minutes. Probably too slow for your needs, but it might be a good starting point.
thomas

Post by thomas »

Here you go. Empty and filled. Noise is due to dispersion and blur, which can be turned off or optimised.
Glass Bottles.jpg
Files attached as well.
Attachments
Glass-Bottles.zip
(831.08 KiB) Downloaded 263 times
thomas

Post by thomas »

One more thing: your bottle wall thickness is very constant. Adding some variation in thickness would make things look more realistic.
thomas

Post by thomas »

Let a QMC high render run last night...
Bottles QMC High.png
Fabian-Eshloraque

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the shader setup! I did not know the refraction nodal shader was supported in kray. But it seems to work very good and renders pretty fast. Maybe we should have a list of supported LW native shaders in kray. (until kray 3 has it own shaders)

I will add a bit of geometry displacement on the inner shell of the bottle, this will apply to the thickness of the bottle.

So again, many thanks! :)
thomas

Post by thomas »

Hi Fabian,

You're welcome! Feel free to send over some beer to Pinkeye! :wink:

Regarding the LW native nodes, I think all of them are supported by Kray, and if not almost all. Good luck and share some results here!
Fabian-Eshloraque

Hi Thomas,

I will send you some beer when the job is done. I just have another question, do you know where to put the intensity of the GI higher in kray? With LW native its just intensity in the global illum tab in %?

Best!