How to make Lumi Panels?

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
djwaterman

How to make Lumi Panels?

Post by djwaterman »

There's no information in the tutorials, manual or online on how to create Lumi panels, I need to light a room with no windows. Strange this information is hidden from view. Can anyone describe the process?
djwaterman

Re: How to make Lumi Panels?

Post by djwaterman »

I may have figured it out, but still, where is the official information found on this subject?
thomas

Post by thomas »

Hi!

The information is in the documentation somewhere, trust me, but it's not always where you would expect it, because some things affect different render settings.

One question: how is the room lit in reality? What are the lightsources, if not daylight / sunlight? If you go for realism then you would just model the "real life" light setup, possibly with IES lights. Adding luminous polygons or area lights helps often, to add some light where needed. The most important thing to realise is that when you place a luminous polygon, it adds light, but well, you can see it in your scene. If you hide it, the light also disappears. That's why there is a setting on the "Misc" tab in Kray: "Unseen by rays casts light".

If you check this setting, you can set your luminous polygons to "unseen by camera" and "unseen by rays", but you will still have the lighting effect.
djwaterman

Post by djwaterman »

Thanks for the reply, I had already discovered that bit of advice from searching the forum. I felt it should be illustrated in one of the tutorials because there are many situations when a room doesn't have windows. For the record, the process is to make Lumi panels yourself in Modeler, or even in Layout using the create geometry options, make the surface luminous, one sided or two sided depending on your lighting need and place it where you want your light source. And in the object properties check unseen by camera (if you want it to be invisible) and unseen by Rays so that it doesn't show up in reflections. Then as you mentioned, go to the "Misc" tab of the Kray options menu and check "Unseen by rays casts light", This is telling you than anything that has "Unseen by rays" checked will cast light.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

Here is clear info:
http://www.kraytracing.com/mediawiki/in ... asts_light

...just if you have some question about Kray (GUI, commands, etc) just go simple first to the Kray Wiki.
thomas

Post by thomas »

I do agree with you, DjWaterman, that the most used techniques could be highlighted a lot better on the webpage. I'm very busy at the moment, but when I have more time I think I'm going to send a design proposal for the website to Gregor.
Keraressi Abdelkarim

Post by Keraressi Abdelkarim »

djwaterman wrote:There's no information in the tutorials, manual or online on how to create Lumi panels, I need to light a room with no windows. Strange this information is hidden from view. Can anyone describe the process?
hey man i think ican help on this . u want to say u have room without windows or like night shot oky ? is this what u mean ?

here some exmple i did few years ago without sun light or exterior lighting . no windows . and light source come behind camera Lumi panel + area light invers distance x2 .
Attachments
Bureau00000 TS.jpg
1266700_432388833547894_1844508041_o.jpg
1097697_414938191959625_1753836975_o.jpg
12440593_916015751851864_610828276934444572_o.jpg
10636366_664495863670522_1215175156269766905_o.jpg
Keraressi Abdelkarim

here kitchein night with small square lumi have luminosity mybe500 i dont rememver its depend of ur tonemapping and surfaces setup + area light is behind that lumi panel . try this tips on window ^^ . :mrgreen:

good luck friend.

ps : that night kitchen in previous poste i put on with day liught and sun u can see the difference. kray physky is really really good. i dont know how kray3 with his new physky2 will bring to us ^^ . i belive kray3 will put all of us in next generation and next quality render ^^ . just think only on this vpr :D ^^ hihih what kind of precision we will get on our surfaces god knows :D ^^ . so u can probably get prefect surfaces with such a prefect light with photorealsitic render. ^^ and that new pixel order in kray3 camera type : flood this flood in my opinion no other engine has this option flood has really power to speed ur render on exterior if u have grass ex.... with alpha mask . he will start with W and let black in last until he finish render all cores on white map he will use all cores or thread on black so if u have like too much grass or in interior many carpet and u want to speed up render use this flood so kray3 start to do on whole room exepct ur carpets . when kray3 finish render on room he go back do render where is carpet region and this is can be control with alpha imager black and white . stuinng . hihih

good luck if u have any problem poste ur scn . we will help u .

Have a nice day!
Attachments
night00000.jpg
kray_render00000 TS Vingue.jpg
djwaterman

Post by djwaterman »

Thanks for these fantastic examples and practical tips. I read in another post to avoid Lumi panels, but in some situations they are the perfect solution.
Keraressi Abdelkarim

djwaterman wrote:Thanks for these fantastic examples and practical tips. I read in another post to avoid Lumi panels, but in some situations they are the perfect solution.

np . good luck .

why i use small square lumi u can go to quality tab and check area light visible . u dont need lumi light. i use both of them area light and small square lumi cause it give nice light ^^ :D .