Banding when rendering high ress with BNR

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
Fabian-Eshloraque

Banding when rendering high ress with BNR

Post by Fabian-Eshloraque »

Hi Kray people,

I just did a high ress render with BNR (butterflynetrender, but does not matter) and when I boost my camera to 400% I get vertical banding in my vertical slices on the ceiling and floor. (they match with the limited region slicing) It looks like there is too much distance between the GI samples? The normal render is ok, only happens when I set camera higher.
banding_on_ceiling.jpg
Best,

Fabian
Janusz Biela

Re: Banding when rendering high ress with BNR

Post by Janusz Biela »

This is wrong code in butterfly. I sent them almost one year ago information about it. They have bug with not shared GI solution for Kray and maybe for other renders (it should be one GI solution for all network Nodes with option LOAD in this case).
This error comes from that: each Node shoot his own photos INSTEAD take information from one GI solution and after connection you see different GI solution for each Node (visible slices).
Anyway they seemed not interested in with my help (I sent if I remember 3 times to them info..)

I suggest use GarageFarm: they have all systems working perfect even for still images sliced in hundreds pieces.

Anyway, why you need network render for still image?
Fabian-Eshloraque

Hi Janusz,

Yeah, I kinda know this issue for about 6 years I guess. Thought somebody know solution for it.

Need a 163780 on 82874 px render for a sticker print of 2 meters in 100 dpi. So I will do renders at 43200 on 17600 and use Photoshop plugin to blow up 460%. Otherwise I can clean up in photoshop.

Grtz
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

Fabian-Eshloraque wrote:Hi Janusz,

Yeah, I kinda know this issue for about 6 years I guess. Thought somebody know solution for it.

Need a 163780 on 82874 px render for a sticker print of 2 meters in 100 dpi. So I will do renders at 43200 on 17600 and use Photoshop plugin to blow up 460%. Otherwise I can clean up in photoshop.

Grtz
If you have a couple of computers you can render this one image with slices separately on each computer. What you need is Photon Map file (not GI). It takes one minute to create it in Kray. It is very small file and allow you render image as you want: in slices, with brakes or whatever. You need render in Limited Region and after that join slices in Photoshop. Maybe is manual job but for 3-5 computers is really fast and very secure: even if you get crash or mistake you can repeat this part (because PM is saved so nothing change)

btw
I use this for Panorama render. Instead render 10-15 h in once I just slice image for two with limited render (left and right). If something happen I just lost half of this time. If nothing happen I have same time except that I have to join both parts in Photoshop.
Fabian-Eshloraque

Hi Janusz,

Will try this manual solution, cause BNR also lost track of slices done - so it keeps rerendering slices that are done.

Thx for the help,

Best!
thomas

Post by thomas »

2 meters wide at 100 dpi is 7874 pixels! No need for difficult setups!
ZodiaQ

Post by ZodiaQ »

thomas

Post by thomas »

Using a separate program for a simple linear math formula is overkill for me - besides the fact that you can just use the "new document" dialog in Photoshop for this - and most Kray users will have Photoshop.

But still: 2 meters is 78.74 inches (divide the meters by 2.54 because an inch is 2.54 centimer), so at 300 DPI (dots per inch) this means 23622 dots or pixels, and at 100 dpi that means 7874 pixels.

I mostly use 120 pixels per centimeter for print resolution, because as a civilized country we use the metric system :D . That equals just under 305 DPI. 40 pixels per centimer is just over 100 DPI, and an easy formula: 2 meters --> 8000 pixels.