lighting inteior

Comments and questions about Kray user manual.
Keraressi Abdelkarim

lighting inteior

Post by Keraressi Abdelkarim »

how to make your scene look nice lighting with kray ?

plz
Last edited by Keraressi Abdelkarim on Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Janusz Biela

Re: lighting inteior

Post by Janusz Biela »

lightwave3d wrote:plz all help me

what the technique to make your scene real lighting with kray photorealistic ?

plz
it is many difference styles.
But basicly You can use Physky (max Exposure5) and lumi panels in windows.
Good idea is put small panels on ceiling (~half meters square ), turn on all lights from lamps.
this is that style: http://www.kraytracing.com/forum/downlo ... &mode=view
jure

Post by jure »

lightwave3d wrote:plz all help me

what the technique to make your scene real lighting with kray photorealistic ?

plz
Basic idea is to try and simulate reality by using sun, sky and realistic surface setup. And Kray will do the rest. :)

How you setup your surfaces is very important and requires good knowledge about how surfaces behave in real life. If you want more specific help you'll first need to post something here...
- Jure
khan973

Post by khan973 »

It mostly depends on which type of render you want.
If you want something natural, just try to simulate real light colors, intensity but if you want something that looks like professional interior pictures, you need more lights like a photographer would do with flashes or lights.
And those are placed wher you need them to get a better light condition / contrast or materials visibility.

There is not ONLY ONE rule to follow. But having good shaders Makes a HUUUGE difference.
VRay folks have tons of pre-made shaders that look real so they don't need to worry about that. But we do...
And a few of us can really make convincing realistic materials.
Almost nobody gets photoreal fabric.
I really envy the amount of good shaders they have even thought I have fun making my own
BarryV

Post by BarryV »

Hi everyone,

This is my first post (or actually reply) on this forum.
I just started experimenting with KRay (Demo) and up to now, I am very satisfied with the quality and speed...so good work.

Also I like the way everyone here on this forum is very willing to help 8)

I have one question... Johny, you mention placing ceiling panels to simulate photorealistic lighting... I guess you mean either area lights or light polygons, right? And those light polygons, are those just polygons with luminosity turned up and made invisible by camera?

Ok...these were two questions. :wink:

Thanks in advance!
Barry
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

BarryV wrote:Hi everyone,

This is my first post (or actually reply) on this forum.
I just started experimenting with KRay (Demo) and up to now, I am very satisfied with the quality and speed...so good work.

Also I like the way everyone here on this forum is very willing to help 8)

I have one question... Johny, you mention placing ceiling panels to simulate photorealistic lighting... I guess you mean either area lights or light polygons, right? And those light polygons, are those just polygons with luminosity turned up and made invisible by camera?

Ok...these were two questions. :wink:

Thanks in advance!
Barry

I suggest that:
Physcy light from outside around Turbidity 3, Exposure 5 (same as for exteriors)
In windows (inside room) Lumi panels (light blue/pink colour), now this doesnot work becouse is bug so You can use Area light (but not big! can be much smaller then window)
good idea is put Lumi panels on ceiling (0.5 m square) every 2 meters in regions where is too dark. But last time I was thinking maybe good idea is put floating Lumi Ball...but I have too check this...just small idea :oops:
Now try area lights becouse is bug with lumi panels and we wait for update of that...
Invere distance for Area Lights in windows around 5 meters.
Important is Tonemaping:
I use Linear in Kray (so is OFF) and LWF gamma 1.4/Exponential 5, 30%.
Recurse in Kray I put maximum 10. better is less but under 10 glass is rendering bad (black) 10 bounce light is enough....
...but of coarse all great ideas how put light in interiors and good tonemaping are welkome 8)
jure

Post by jure »

Johny_quick wrote: Now try area lights becouse is bug with lumi panels and we wait for update of that...
It's not a bug but rather the limitation of current Kray engine. Of course this will be fixed when new engine is ready. But you can still use hidden lumi panels in windows if you render them in direct mode.
- Jure
BarryV

Post by BarryV »

Thanks for the help!

I will try it out...

Let you know if it worked.

Gr
Barry
brownie

Post by brownie »

I didn't know there was a bug with lumi panels. (I currently use them exclusively)

Any precision?
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

brownie wrote:I didn't know there was a bug with lumi panels. (I currently use them exclusively)

Any precision?
Problem is when we use hide lumi panels, everything is ok but photons from physky can`t fly thoroughly lumi panels so they are block.
BarryV

Post by BarryV »

Hey thanks, Johny!

Now I get much better renders!

I use area lights to increase the ambient illumination in the room. I have also tried using a floating lumi ball, but it gives light spots on the walls. I am still playing with it, though.... I think it is a matter of fine tuning and it will work out.

It reminds me of hanging up a 'blanket light' on the ceiling in videoproduction. THis also provides a basic ambient light to further build on.

Thanks again for the help.
BarryV

Post by BarryV »

Well...as promised to let you know how it went...

Hereby a render from my own project. Some sharpening and backdrop was added in PS.
The resolution is small though (for testing purposes). Eventually the size will have to be 1280 x 720.

I used area lights in the window (35%, inverse square falloff 5m), physky (without sun) and sun spotlight 250% intensity at 500m distance)
Maybe it is also a bit too blue/purple?

And of course it needs some furniture and stuff...

Maybe it is also a bit too blue/purple?

Thanks!
Attachments
BarryV_testrender1.jpg
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

I think this look good. better when You use physky sun also. I use also backgroud with excepton of radiation (unssen by radiosity+100% luminosity). Always empty rooms looks ascetic, becouse no furnitures. Please update scene...and use always shift camera (walls looks ugly in interiors when are not vertical...)Maybe desaturate shader is too strong on floor also...I think is good idea experiment with light colours (for example area light in windows stronger blue) good mix of colors (of coarse no candy colors!) make scene less "flat", more "deep"...
JoshuaKib

Sat Jul 31 2010 7 29 am

Post by JoshuaKib »

I registered today as littlenyama. I wont let me log in though and if I type it in the username field is says its take. How do I correct this?

Thanks, Nyama