Kitchen from FStorm

ideart

Re: Kitchen from FStorm

Post by ideart »

Some users seems to be rather touchy when GPU renderers are mentioned.
I get that talking in Kray forum about other renderers might not be very appropriate.

But I think that the main reason GPU renderers are mentioned here is not because they are faster but because in year 2016 we can't render in Kray standard for the competition things like fur or some nice displacement, or some realistic shaders. As a LW user that doesn't like very much LW renderer the option of Octane is one way street.

I now use kray and octane depending on the project needs. Setting up the surfaces materials in a gpu render like octane is much much faster than Kray's need of dozens of test renders. When I have some animated things in my scene or fast camera movements I also use octane because after all these years I still find new frustrating bugs in K2 animation system or I loose a whole night of rendering time because kray freezes in 99% .

We have in office a sum of 10 fast modern gpus and they are rendering without any problem and setting them up wasn't something terrifying. I can render my projects and at the same time I can begin the next one, something that you can't do in cpu renderers even with a 10000+ euros monster xeon's system.

So if someone calculates the time you save when you don't have to do many many test renders or bake the GI and then render or no need to wait for your main workstation to finish rendering one project so you can start the next, I am not so sure that cpu is so much faster than gpu renderers even in more complex scenes.

I am grateful for Kray, I make a living with it so far but it is showing it's age and limitation more and more as years pass.
sotto3d.com
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

I saw your gallery (http://www.sotto3d.com ?)
Good renders indeed , I can bet: with good Dual Xeon 72HT you will do it with 2000 pix resolution in 5-20 min.
I say that because I had occasion work on that hardware and old K2 and this is staggering! 4300 pts in Cinebench R15 - previews without AA in seconds!
I do not mention K3 where all aspect of render is or will be perfect - there is no doubt for that. I see all quality`s (GI, physical lights, sampling, Physky) which you see in Corona (this is the same system almost like in K3). We need just close THE CORE. It will takes a while but after that everything possible.

BTW
I am happy you use both GPU and sometimes CPU (perhaps Kray).
I like CPU and challenges. I found fanny topic on Corona forum:
https://corona-renderer.com/forum/index ... pic=4451.0

But test of course is IDIOTIC. Simple scene with one light in override system. Comparing modern card GPU with old CPU. No reflection, no surfaces.
There is nothing to calculate :lol:
ideart

Post by ideart »

Thank you for checking my gallery.
My main workstation is 2800 pts in Cinebench so it has descent speed. Most of our renders are more than 6500 pixels wide for print.
I have never in my life participated in wars like mac vs pc, android vs ios, or any of that kind so I don't really care if there is some rivalry between CPU and GPU. As I said the Octane choice was added to our tools because it was the one of the very limited number renderers for LW that could deliver things Kray couldn't. I hate the idea of leaving LW after almost 20 years using it and go to Autodesk so if there is a new modern renderer that supports LW I will buy it either it is CPU or GPU.
sotto3d.com
thomas

Post by thomas »

Hi Ideart,

Very valid points. In our studio there is a place for different render engines: we use Octane, Lightwave (native engine), Kray and V-Ray (with 3DS Max). We don't care who uses what, as long as the results are good and people enjoy using the software.

Obviously, there is no "best" engine. There are different types of jobs, different users (with their own habits and skill levels) and different time frames for each. Sometimes we are on a very tight deadline and we know there's no time for a high quality beauty shots and we just ask ourselves "Do we want perfect shadows and shading but with noise, or do we want quick and smooth surfaces, at the expense of the contact shadows?"

And then there's the whole "simple but limited" versus "complex but superpowerful" debate... Plenty of options. Me personally, I love working with LightWave and Kray. But I have to be honest: I see people cranking out images with Cinema and V-ray after only a couple of weeks, that they would probably not be able to produce with LW + Kray. Different beasts altogether.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

Besides of all the important thing is that we finish soon Core K3. Now will be more and faster visible everything.
If you like Corona quality renders (and also system render)- you have partly now done.
After finishing core will be extra more post processing procedures (white balance, contrast, burn out, etc) - this is just moment to add.
And perhaps you will ask: what more we need just to catch this quality...only one thing: Shaders!

I understand frustration - but the real K3 is not yet visible :lol: this what you see is just running Core and catching first important bugs.
khan973

Post by khan973 »

Good to hear that!
Post process on the fly is awesome!
I'd love to have more buffers to use it for other purposes than archviz too.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

There is a little problems with noise in transparency surfaces, GI sampling noise and white dots in corners - I posted these bugs on the bug tracker - but it gets better and better.
K3_.png
Keraressi Abdelkarim

Post by Keraressi Abdelkarim »

ideart wrote:Some users seems to be rather touchy when GPU renderers are mentioned.
I get that talking in Kray forum about other renderers might not be very appropriate.

But I think that the main reason GPU renderers are mentioned here is not because they are faster but because in year 2016 we can't render in Kray standard for the competition things like fur or some nice displacement, or some realistic shaders. As a LW user that doesn't like very much LW renderer the option of Octane is one way street.

I now use kray and octane depending on the project needs. Setting up the surfaces materials in a gpu render like octane is much much faster than Kray's need of dozens of test renders. When I have some animated things in my scene or fast camera movements I also use octane because after all these years I still find new frustrating bugs in K2 animation system or I loose a whole night of rendering time because kray freezes in 99% .

We have in office a sum of 10 fast modern gpus and they are rendering without any problem and setting them up wasn't something terrifying. I can render my projects and at the same time I can begin the next one, something that you can't do in cpu renderers even with a 10000+ euros monster xeon's system.

So if someone calculates the time you save when you don't have to do many many test renders or bake the GI and then render or no need to wait for your main workstation to finish rendering one project so you can start the next, I am not so sure that cpu is so much faster than gpu renderers even in more complex scenes.

I am grateful for Kray, I make a living with it so far but it is showing it's age and limitation more and more as years pass.
Hey i tried octane in lw. Ofcourse mybe i dont have the gpu cards as u :

I habe low cuda core. 2 graphics card : one quadro k4000 and other one gtx 760 4g oc. But i see in small thingd octane is fast i mean fast on small object like balls. Ex...but in complex u cant get nice clean render as kray i bet u dont know kray very much. Cause kray also with low quality it give u hq render without perfect irradience. Sooo kray no noise and not wait for rendee 1days or 2 days per image. Yes that bug freez at 99% was in kray 2 its true but let me tell u something :
I get that bug in kray when i use like 2500p and high ultra kray setup for exmple i put in reflection blur something very crazy like 4000. But with i understand kray gave u nice hq with low setting u save a lot of tme. I can bet we still with this k2. I can acheive any renders u saw it . Octane cotona maxwell and evën faster. I think u need to put in ur self trust. U ned to trust ur self and belive i dont use shaders only surfaces basics . And with lw basic durfaces i can make easy photorealistic. U need to know kray combines. U know why i never bought that kray traning courses. Cz i belive i can do it and xith just training by my self. Soo plz put ur scn we will help you out what u didnt acheive it in kray. Yoo proff to u kray2 is the king. I found new system in kray how to get the lights as realwolrd kray has freaking best tonemapping out there. U can control u render as u like. Buy the way i tried also corona in c4d u know what? My opinion on thos éngine octane and corona ,???

For me ithey just making pub and commercial. If l2 pr k3 has good pub and commercial u will see kray as vray or much more in terme of famous ppl.do u know u dont have anisotropy in octane or not??? Oct in lw and other for 3ds max ..... plz go into gallery and see my poste on fstorm kitchen and go do comparison with fstorm kitchen u will wich one one look more realistic then other. I found new way to simulate light in kray inside lw. By the way i have old i7 950. Sooo i think it slow agaisnt k4400 ex... and about xeon lol. Still my cpu very very very slow. And i did that kitchen 40min ~ 1h. No noise as in fstorm 20min 2 or 3 high end gpu. With my old i7 i dud 40min ty.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

Small test from new update.
Only Physical lights.
K3_.png
Keraressi Abdelkarim

Wow that speed janusz. Home or job !
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

Not quality render but is closer. Actually I found new bug there :evil:
K3_.png
Keraressi Abdelkarim

Janusz Biela wrote:Not quality render but is closer. Actually I found new bug there :evil:
K3_.png

yes i see u have bug in corner . left top corner and right corner that edge .
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

OB4+ (visible noise reflection/transparency bug - small white dots):
K3_.jpg