new exterior

Please post finished works here.
Janusz Biela

Re: new exterior

Post by Janusz Biela »

salvatore wrote:i already tested this technique for grass but my result was ugly.
Yes this is crap .... I thing one way is in Instance but.... we need special shader for this (something similar to FG for pixel , no FG per box) becouse grass is very comlex model so is long render (If we add shader FG with min/max 0/0 is still too slow, becouse still is too many polygons to calculate, QMC shader is fast but noise....)
geo_n

Post by geo_n »

Johny_quick wrote:
salvatore wrote:i already tested this technique for grass but my result was ugly.
Yes this is crap .... I thing one way is in Instance but.... we need special shader for this (something similar to FG for pixel , no FG per box) becouse grass is very comlex model so is long render (If we add shader FG with min/max 0/0 is still too slow, becouse still is too many polygons to calculate, QMC shader is fast but noise....)
haha. i'm sure pavlov will be happy to hear its crap. :P

so how do we do animation in kray with good grass? :mrgreen:

for me this is good. can be improved more in post process.
http://www.happy-digital.com/autograss/ ... movies.php
jure

Post by jure »

Acctualy I think Paolo's method works great. Fast and looks pretty good.
- Jure
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

jure wrote:Acctualy I think Paolo's method works great. Fast and looks pretty good.
...I thing no :wink:
jure

Post by jure »

Johny_quick wrote:
jure wrote:Acctualy I think Paolo's method works great. Fast and looks pretty good.
...I thing no :wink:
I think you don't know how to use it... ;)
- Jure
larry_g1s

Post by larry_g1s »

I think what Hieron was able to do with HDI, is one of the best grass animation examples I've scene in LW. And solid render times for the resolution.
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101604
Larry V

Romans 1:16
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is
the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes.
done

Post by done »

Actually, the most important part of the HDI route is:
ps: The movie has DoF and slight MB done in post. More importantly it has "Neat Video"plugin applied to it, to do temporal blurring on the grass in the distance. Without that it is almost impossible to get rid of sampling issues when using a few pixels to visualize zillions of poly's.
I dont see using HD instance over native kray instances inside kray would have any benefits, and i think the basic logic is the same... the problematic part of animating it is the sampling, and Hieron also had to deal with it.
geo_n

Post by geo_n »

Larry_g1s wrote:I think what Hieron was able to do with HDI, is one of the best grass animation examples I've scene in LW. And solid render times for the resolution.
Its great. i disected it and it could work. There's just the problem with sampling small areas. Any renderer would flicker. I would probably not use instancing on the very far objects and just use a texture. Rendering is not bad at 12 min for qc6600.
larry_g1s

Post by larry_g1s »

geo_n wrote:
Larry_g1s wrote:I think what Hieron was able to do with HDI, is one of the best grass animation examples I've scene in LW. And solid render times for the resolution.
Its great. i disected it and it could work. There's just the problem with sampling small areas. Any renderer would flicker. I would probably not use instancing on the very far objects and just use a texture. Rendering is not bad at 12 min for qc6600.
He got 7+- minute renders for the animation (me too and I'm on Intel Quad Core...forget the number) and I don't remember any flickering in his animation.
Larry V

geo_n

Post by geo_n »

Larry_g1s wrote:
geo_n wrote:
He got 7+- minute renders for the animation (me too and I'm on Intel Quad Core...forget the number) and I don't remember any flickering in his animation.
I rendered it and it does flicker and lots of noise. His render is very heavily post processed which is ok I do it all the time :mrgreen: . Trying to sample a small square with millions of grass pixels would cause flicker or noise regarless of renderer. One thing would be not to put instance at the back to lessen the chance of missing an instance's pixel. It looks smudged green anyway. Use a simpler texture, blur it and use a noise filter like neatplugin if it still has noise.
larry_g1s

Post by larry_g1s »

geo_n wrote:Its great. i disected it and it could work. There's just the problem with sampling small areas. Any renderer would flicker. I would probably not use instancing on the very far objects and just use a texture. Rendering is not bad at 12 min for qc6600. He got 7+- minute renders for the animation (me too and I'm on Intel Quad Core...forget the number) and I don't remember any flickering in his animation.

I rendered it and it does flicker and lots of noise. His render is very heavily post processed which is ok I do it all the time :mrgreen: . Trying to sample a small square with millions of grass pixels would cause flicker or noise regarless of renderer. One thing would be not to put instance at the back to lessen the chance of missing an instance's pixel. It looks smudged green anyway. Use a simpler texture, blur it and use a noise filter like neatplugin if it still has noise.
Quick update to the flickering issue. ADK on that thread came across a plug-in for (AE, Prem., Final Cut, and a host of others) that seemed to really help with the flicker in post. Check out the site: http://www.neatvideo.com/
Larry V

_mats_

Post by _mats_ »

That looks awesome, so HDI 2.07 works with Kray 100% then?

I have a license for 1.8 and would definitely upgrade in case this is so.
larry_g1s

Post by larry_g1s »

_mats_ wrote:That looks awesome, so HDI 2.07 works with Kray 100% then?

I have a license for 1.8 and would definitely upgrade in case this is so.
I don't believe it works 100%. I don't think shadows show amongst other things.
Larry V

adk

Post by adk »

Larry_g1s wrote:
geo_n wrote:Its great. i disected it and it could work. There's just the problem with sampling small areas. Any renderer would flicker. I would probably not use instancing on the very far objects and just use a texture. Rendering is not bad at 12 min for qc6600. He got 7+- minute renders for the animation (me too and I'm on Intel Quad Core...forget the number) and I don't remember any flickering in his animation.

Quick update to the flickering issue. ADK on that thread came across a plug-in for (AE, Prem., Final Cut, and a host of others) that seemed to really help with the flicker in post. Check out the site: http://www.neatvideo.com/
Correction there Larry ... Hieron mentioned the NeatVideo plugin & I simply did some testing with it in Fusion and AE together with RSMB. It works so well that I don't think I'd render any such scene without it to be honest. You could easily double /quadruple your render time trying to get rid of pixels fizzing with AA / AS / OS /downsizing renders combinations, not to mention the time spent finding an economical setting. It's the most distracting thing in my view as the further away from the camera it is the more it fizzes & the first thing your eyes lock onto and scream "that's not right".

Would love to hear others views on how they deal with this issue in animations with heavy foliage / texture shimmering / fizzing.