interior renders

Please post finished works here.
_mats_

interior renders

Post by _mats_ »

Hi everyone,

some new renders, still WIP, I am trying to get a better feel for realism, any ideas how to make these more real?

I noticed (at least on my renders) that a sunlit room or area looks much more realistic than a nighttime render lit with spotlights or any artificial lighting, any advice?

I tweaked them in PS a little bit

Thanks !

Matt -
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (198.63 KiB) Viewed 5490 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (453.81 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (528.66 KiB) Viewed 5503 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (413.27 KiB) Viewed 5544 times
sepo

Post by sepo »

They are quite nice. Did you use soft glow?
_mats_

Post by _mats_ »

Thanks !

I cloned the layer, added gaussian blur to that layer, then 50%, blending mode hard light, tweaked the levels and got something like this.

This soft glow technique looks very good on animations too, but its easy to go too far with it sometimes, maybe sharpening the bottom layer might help so its not too hazy, I will have to try.

I still think some materials or lighting is not very realistic.. it might be a materials issue, but I cannot pinpoint where the effect is lost
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

Nice quality and light (super floor and light on floor)
For me: too bright shadows and too strong glow (need better contrast and sharp)
Time/CPU?
How you make light on floor?
_mats_

Post by _mats_ »

Thanks Johny -

I agree some shots looks better sharper I will play with some settings, I seem to get better realism when using a sunlight all the time

the floor is a combination of bump, diffusion and spec mapping, Here is the material attached
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

_mats_ wrote:Thanks Johny -

I agree some shots looks better sharper I will play with some settings, I seem to get better realism when using a sunlight all the time

the floor is a combination of bump, diffusion and spec mapping, Here is the material attached
thx for sharing, could You can show setup light (luminos ball on floor)?
_mats_

Post by _mats_ »

Sure, its nothing special really, just a sphere with Luminosity in an incidence angle gradient so its brighter at the center, and reflection on the edges where the luminosity drops off, all of that is not really visible in the render, unless you reduce the intensity of the luminosity.

and the spheres are computed as direct illumination, hope that helps !

Matt -
Attachments
screenshot.jpeg
screenshot.jpeg (234.39 KiB) Viewed 5432 times
savinoff

Post by savinoff »

A little advice, if you still need it (quite an old post:), would be to make all the different types of lamps you have in your scene have different light temperatue (read color), with the ceiling halogen lamps having most neutral (yet slightly warm) temperature, the tube lamp more cold (towards green or blue) and the floor lamps being most warm, almost orange. The underceiling glow needs to also have its own unique character, probably some warm yellow-orange color as well. It's important to not overdo this whole coloring thing and there's no exact recipe as to what needs to have what color. Yet it may help to break the uniform lighting and make the scene to look more interesting if you have time to experiment.

Just a few cents.
_mats_

Post by _mats_ »

thanks Savinoff.

the post is kind of old, but havent finished that project yet, I will play around with those lighting settings, they are still making changes to the room and furniture :(

I rendered an anim test and looks pretty good animated, finally got a 100% splotch free GI

Matt -
Leftover

Post by Leftover »

Sounds as nice client :)
I'm playing with settins for anim as well. So far so good but sometimes i get splotches anyway. Don't you mind to share yours setting for animation, please? Would be interesting to have a look.
_mats_

Post by _mats_ »

Sure thing, here are the settings.

I found that the N value is pretty important to have a blotch free anim solution.

I used the 2-pass GI method, rendered the GI file at 1/4 the screen resolution without issues.

settings attached, good luck !
Attachments
screenshot1.jpeg
screenshot1.jpeg (65.68 KiB) Viewed 5360 times
screenshot2.jpeg
screenshot2.jpeg (63 KiB) Viewed 5361 times
screenshot3.jpeg
screenshot3.jpeg (74.98 KiB) Viewed 5371 times
Leftover

Post by Leftover »

Thanks, _mats_!
Looks similar to my settings in some areas, exept i tried to get a bit deeper indirect shadow "leftovers" :)
weepul

Post by weepul »

A high N relative to photons means a smoother solution, but also one with potential light leaks and general lack of detail in shadow areas (light where it shouldn't be).
G5 Quad 2.5GHz, 2.5 GB RAM, GeForce 7800GT, Mac OS X 10.4.11