Rendering same K3 scene on multiple PCs

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
vgabex

Rendering same K3 scene on multiple PCs

Post by vgabex »

Hi!

I usually render my archviz still images with kray2 on multiple pc as a sequence.
I start the whole sequence on each computer, eg frames 0-9. The output directory is the same network directory.
Each pc starts rendering, and each pc creates a *.sem file for the current frame. Pc1 creates for example render_00000.sem file right after the start of the rendering, that way Pc2 knows, that frame 0 is in progress, so it starts rendering frame 1 and creates the render_00001.sem temporary file. When Pc1 finishes with frame 0, starts rendering frame 2, becouse frame 1 is in progress on Pc2 (it sees the render_00001.sem file!!) , and so on....

Rendering with K3 does not create any *.sem file, so I have to slice the sequence, and render different regions on each computer. Frames are very different, some needs 20min rendering time, some needs 2 hours. It's very uncomfortable to guess the rendering times and try to lsice the sequence wisely.

I would like the same *.sem temp files for K3 to be able rendering same sequence on multiple computer, just like kray2, no more...
Janusz Biela

Re: Rendering same K3 scene on multiple PCs

Post by Janusz Biela »

vgabex wrote:Hi!

I usually render my archviz still images with kray2 on multiple pc as a sequence.
I start the whole sequence on each computer, eg frames 0-9. The output directory is the same network directory.
Each pc starts rendering, and each pc creates a *.sem file for the current frame. Pc1 creates for example render_00000.sem file right after the start of the rendering, that way Pc2 knows, that frame 0 is in progress, so it starts rendering frame 1 and creates the render_00001.sem temporary file. When Pc1 finishes with frame 0, starts rendering frame 2, becouse frame 1 is in progress on Pc2 (it sees the render_00001.sem file!!) , and so on....

Rendering with K3 does not create any *.sem file, so I have to slice the sequence, and render different regions on each computer. Frames are very different, some needs 20min rendering time, some needs 2 hours. It's very uncomfortable to guess the rendering times and try to lsice the sequence wisely.

I would like the same *.sem temp files for K3 to be able rendering same sequence on multiple computer, just like kray2, no more...
K3 will have his own network render with easy setup (Nodes - no need configuration). We want also create system for Time Interpolation via Network and of course simultaneously rendering of one image by multiple computers.
G. develop K2 only when is compatibility problem: new Lightwave version.
vgabex

Post by vgabex »

Janusz Biela wrote:
vgabex wrote:G. develop K2 only when is compatibility problem: new Lightwave version.
There's no need to develop K2. My problem is that K3 behaves differently, it does not creates a *.sem file, like K2 does! It's hard to use K3 to render the same sequence on multiple computers.

Now my workflow with K2 is the following (independent gi for all frames):
1. Create a scene on Computer_1, set the rendering frame region, set the output directory to a network location and save the scene.
2. Hit render sequence on Computer_1
3. Open the same scene (locate on the network and open) on Computer_2, and hit render sequence.
n. Open the same scene (locate on the network and open) on Computer_n, and hit render sequence.

Every computer when finis the current frame steps to next frame, BUT if there's a .sem file, recognise that the frame is currently rendering by an another machine, so skips it. And this is good in K2.

Rendering the same sequence in K3: Every single computer renders the whole sequence! This is not good.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

We did not start procedures with animation in K3 at all :P
This what is now is on your risk. Only still images right now.