Octane quick test-drive

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
Janusz Biela

Re: Octane quick test-drive

Post by Janusz Biela »

Fabian-Eshloraque wrote:Yes mdharrington,

There are a lot cheaper GPU cards, but if we need to have GPU card, we get a quadro K6000 or M6000 which rate at 5K. And yes you can buy lower cards for octane, but they are useless for other software like some compositing software or 3D render engines. (joy)

Which leads to the fact that there are 2 groups of GPU cards (or 3 because of the Titans and/or Intel Phi) and is giving me a hard time to manage our workstations. And for some Linux installations I need to trash the Cuda software layer and replace it with another. (because its not stable enough)

My guess is that the hardware guys are making a mess out of it. Types of GPU, type of software drivers, application software to run on it...

Why I am fan of CPU. GPU is good for decoding video...
mdharrington

Post by mdharrington »

Fabian-Eshloraque wrote:Yes mdharrington,

There are a lot cheaper GPU cards, but if we need to have GPU card, we get a quadro K6000 or M6000 which rate at 5K. And yes you can buy lower cards for octane, but they are useless for other software like some compositing software or 3D render engines. (joy)

Which leads to the fact that there are 2 groups of GPU cards (or 3 because of the Titans and/or Intel Phi) and is giving me a hard time to manage our workstations. And for some Linux installations I need to trash the Cuda software layer and replace it with another. (because its not stable enough)

My guess is that the hardware guys are making a mess out of it. Types of GPU, type of software drivers, application software to run on it...
I have quadros and normal CUDA's....been compositing and editing 4k since 2007 and have owned 2 Red Epics.
A normal GPU is fine for 5k and 6k....I actually removed and sold 2 of my quadros as the only thing they offer over a regular GPU is 10bit video output. I sold my $5000 red rocket card, because a regular old GTX is almost twice as fast.

Some applications are only certified on quadros....but a lot of it is marketing hype.
Flame may need Quadros...but Fusion runs fine on OpenCL...as does DaVinci. Other then drivers they are nearly identical...as is a Titan. A titan is exactly the same...just with more ram.

I am just saying it is not fair to compare a $5000 video card to a 12 blade xeon.....for $5000 you could get over 10x the power rendering wise with GTX 980ti as the single quadro.
mdharrington

Post by mdharrington »

Octane Path tracing (1080p only)
1x GTX970
2X GTX470

3 minutes 40 seconds
PT3min40.jpg
Last edited by mdharrington on Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

K3 render with only Physky2 without Sun (HQ GI but not ultra, 24 min/i7 CPU) :
K3_.jpg
mdharrington

Post by mdharrington »

just so I can try to match....is this linear, or is there any gamma?
mdharrington

Post by mdharrington »

Janusz Biela wrote:K3 render with only Physky2 without Sun (HQ GI but not ultra, 24 min/i7 CPU) :
K3_.jpg
Very nice quality :)
ideart

Post by ideart »

mdharrington wrote:Path tracing (1080p only)
1x GTX970
2X GTX470

3 minutes 40 seconds
The attachment PT3min40.jpg is no longer available

Nice render time, how did you manage it?
Here is my path tracing quick test with white texture environment only

17 minutes on 980ti and 780.
Attachments
Taller 11_rgb0004.jpg
sotto3d.com
mdharrington

Post by mdharrington »

3000 samples....2 bounce only (trying to match kray image shadows)

key is coherent ratio to 30% (only good for stills...10% possible with animations using thousands of samples)
hot pixel viz 60%
filter 1.3
IMG_2982.JPG
ideart

Post by ideart »

Great tips, thank you.
sotto3d.com
mdharrington

Post by mdharrington »

judging by the octane bench...your combined score is around 209, whereas mine is about 166...about 79% the power of yours
so if the bench is accurate you should be able to do 3000 samples with your setup in about 2:55
thomas

Post by thomas »

Gentlemen, I am having a wonderful time watching all of you render my scene, and being amazed by the low rendertimes all of you are able to achieve. Nice work - you are definitely masters.

I say let's combine our skills and efforts to make people notice LW + Kray 3 in the near future!

Janusz, I have another question for you: do you think subpixel displacement is something that would be feasible somewhere in the v3 cycle of Kray?
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

mdharrington wrote:....2 bounce only
I think 5-10 bounces is minium for rendering, under this, GI is artificial.
btw very good score but as I told above: when you will add full scale interior: more bounce lights, reflection/blur, lights, Sun Light then the noise will be forever :wink:

Anyway you have two good GPU cards (this 2x470 I consider as one). Comparing to i7 CPU is maybe 6-12 times faster, hard do say

Did you use build-in de-noise filter or post? It seems very clean render.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

thomas wrote:Gentlemen, I am having a wonderful time watching all of you render my scene, and being amazed by the low rendertimes all of you are able to achieve. Nice work - you are definitely masters.

I say let's combine our skills and efforts to make people notice LW + Kray 3 in the near future!

Janusz, I have another question for you: do you think subpixel displacement is something that would be feasible somewhere in the v3 cycle of Kray?
It is ready in K3. Not activated yet because we need run core first.
mdharrington

Post by mdharrington »

Just one more for a comparison
Octane
14min 10 sec

3500 samples
5 bounce path tracing, 25% coherent ratio
Octane Daylight

Still some noise....probably would need 4500 samples to be totally clean. This is where Photon mapping would be great, as the path tracing results is exponential in nature.... taking a lot longer for smaller improvements.
Not as nice as Janusz Kray 3 render....but a more fair comparison of octane speed.....remember the 3 video cards in my system total cost is about $500 US.
1410.jpg
mdharrington

Post by mdharrington »

Janusz Biela wrote:
mdharrington wrote:....2 bounce only
I think 5-10 bounces is minium for rendering, under this, GI is artificial.
btw very good score but as I told above: when you will add full scale interior: more bounce lights, reflection/blur, lights, Sun Light then the noise will be forever :wink:

Anyway you have two good GPU cards (this 2x470 I consider as one). Comparing to i7 CPU is maybe 6-12 times faster, hard do say

Did you use build-in de-noise filter or post? It seems very clean render.
De-noise....that would be cheating :)
No I wouldn't do that....no post at all

EDIT: I see you said built in noise removal.....I do use some hot pixel removal. This is not a post process, it is done at render time inside the render....but too much of it will soften the image, so in a way it kind of is

There is no way octane path tracer will match noise of Kray photon mapping....kray will always be better, I realize that. Kray will be the king of interior render for some time.....but as you can see Octane is not that bad....with 2-3 good $400 video cards you could match the noise of Kray for the same speed. And octane 3 in beta now is 20-30% faster.

In the future I can see myself baking kray GI results into texture and rendering the final animation in Octane...best of both worlds

Unless G has some other tricks up his sleeve :)