Octane quick test-drive

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
Janusz Biela

Re: Octane quick test-drive

Post by Janusz Biela »

...anyway these examples above are senseless (include my). To find real speed of render you need real complex scene. Path Tracing is very, very slow - please DO NOT BELIEVE magic!. Is doesn`t matter dual Xeon or dual GTX still slow and horrible nosy. Why my maximum level of GI quality is Photon Mapping + QMC (this is maximum level in my opinion...really you do not need Path Tracing at all) or less quality but still not so bad pure Final Gathering.
Normal interior scene on Octane, Maxwell and similar renders in Full HD takes 5-10 h...and is no way to do it faster. Please consider that, Path Tracing get very slow calculations (VERY) when you add more bounces (really you need minimum 7-10 to get rid of artificially in GI) reflection/blur, fur, many lights, instances. Tricks with only Direct Light + Occlusion in these software are senseless.

What people need now (95% of users) is good Final Gathering engine + good shaders then renders are under 20 min in Full HD with high quality.
Also animation is pointless in Path Tracing engines. Noise automatically kick you out from this department or if you are stubborn you can wait (watch graph above with noise).

On the web are a lot very good renders from these software but please think: horrible time, good hardware, post process, good design, good artistic point of view. Statistic user get headache to see that but reality is tough: engine is just small part of that.

Here nice article about Corona/V-ray (Corona is hybrid of Path Tracing and QMC or even Final Gathering):
http://3d-graf.blogspot.fi/2014/11/vray-corona.html

PS
Personally I do not like GPU rendering. Running 2-3 GPU cards with almost 1000 Watt total power consumption of whole computer give me headache. Power supply for whole hardware must be also top one. Heating from all GPU cards has influence for your room (if is small) and also...what nobody write down for you motherboard (electronics components). Too extreme for me and still for rendering bigger projects I need CPU.
But is not so bad because I would be happy have two Titanium-Z with minimum 12 Giga GPU RAM because then rendering in Path Tracing has sense. Under that: forget.
thomas

Post by thomas »

Wow Janusz (and Gregor)! That is great news (about subpixel displacement coming in the K3 cycle). Subpixel diplacement, subsurface scattering, a good glass & anisotropic reflection shader and better PhySky and I've got all I could ever dream of!

Can't wait can't wait can't wait!
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

thomas wrote:Wow Janusz (and Gregor)! That is great news (about subpixel displacement coming in the K3 cycle). Subpixel diplacement, subsurface scattering, a good glass & anisotropic reflection shader and better PhySky and I've got all I could ever dream of!

Can't wait can't wait can't wait!

There are two things which now become standard:
- post processing build in engine render with operations on internal buffer of engine(HDR) with real time control
- shaders which support surfaces quality

Both must be in K3 because without whole situation is senseless.

This is proposition for G. (this must be, no excuses):
ScreenShot153.png
Shaders list is waiting because first we have to run core properly and post processing.
Physky2 in K3 has the newest implementation of physical atmosphere colour and it works great.
thomas

Post by thomas »

Thanks for the update Janusz! It all looks great!

For me personally, I look forward to just starting K3 with basic LW nodes and the new photon map / final gathering quality. All other stuff are extra gifts to me that I don't mind waiting for. But it's very cool to hear that it's all coming at some point in the K3 cycle!
thomas

Post by thomas »

By the way, for me personally there are only 2 reasons to use Octane:

1) "Realtime" feedback for shading and lighting
2) The quality of the material shaders and render.
3) Subpixel displacement.

The speed gains are "relative" and the workflow has severe limitations. If Kray can give me these 3 things I have no reason to use Octane.
Keraressi Abdelkarim

Post by Keraressi Abdelkarim »

thomas wrote: 1) "Realtime" feedback for shading and lighting
also kray 3 have his own realtime render. vpr kray 3 :3 . so fast . :mrgreen:
promity

Post by promity »

Interesting article about Octane vs FStorm:

http://www.ronenbekerman.com/unbiased-g ... er/#header