Does Kray hate JPG's?

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
djwaterman

Does Kray hate JPG's?

Post by djwaterman »

I just installed my copy of Kray into 11.5 and was testing a scene I've been working on using the native render engine. It's a space scene with no lights and just using a sun image for lighting. Render times were very impressive with Kray so I'm now considering using it for this project, but I have a significant problem. The big jpg image mapped onto the Earth object renders all blurred and blocky, it's been a while since I last used Kray but I don't remember having this issue. Below is an example with the original LW render and the Kray one.

[URL=http://s1210.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]

Is there an obvious reason for this?

The other question I have is that now LW has color managment, does that mean I don't need to use the plugin that comes with Kray for gamma correction? In other words, does Kray respect the color space set that I set up in Lightwave?
Janusz Biela

Re: Does Kray hate JPG's?

Post by Janusz Biela »

Hmm I never use jpg as raw render and I suggest use png (which offer good compression of course not that as jpg but almost ideal clean). Of course this is no problem with file format. Please check Your setup for Earth ground texture, especially Pixel Blending and Mipmap Quality+Mipmap Strength - there should be default.

If You use Kray for render then all color space should be setup to LINEAR in Layout (default).
djwaterman

Post by djwaterman »

Janusz, I tried to post the scene but it was too big. Could it be that the Earth image is 16 MB in size? It's that large JPG that NASA released recently and I need it big for reason of resolution. Does Kray have a limit in size of images?
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

djwaterman wrote:Janusz, I tried to post the scene but it was too big. Could it be that the Earth image is 16 MB in size? It's that large JPG that NASA released recently and I need it big for reason of resolution. Does Kray have a limit in size of images?

There should not be limits. Try save this image as TIFF or another file from Photoshop and then try render.

You can send me only this map....
djwaterman

Post by djwaterman »

I'm sorry Janusz, I was in the process of stripping the scene down to the one problematic element ready to send you when I discovered that I just had to turn off pixel blending and mipmap quality for the earth texture, and now renders clear. Thanks for caring.
djwaterman

Post by djwaterman »

Actually, just to be clear, does this mean I should do this to all image maps in my scene (turn off Mipmap quality and pixel blending) when working with Kray? Actually I suspect the main culprit is MipMap quality.

And when you said I should set everything to linear, do you mean all the image maps as well ? Currently I use the RGB preset and change my normal maps to Linear.

Yes it's been a while for me with Kray, I probably knew all this stuff and have forgotten it.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

No, just let default setup in texture options. I think You wanted blur this texture and You changed it (Mipmap strength and quality)
Here list:
http://www.kraytracing.com/wiki/Features

Some features are not supported from Lightwave but exist in Kray.

Setup in LW should be default: Linear.
Lightwave after installation is ready to work with Kray without any special setups.
Attachments
ScreenShot077.jpg