Kray & Stability

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
barnabythebear

Kray & Stability

Post by barnabythebear »

Hiya all,

I have been playing around with the Kray demo and have experienced a few crashes. Most seem to be random while I'm doing things such as changing lighting (so maybe a LW issue?), but one crash that keeps happening is with the Lightportal-tu that I downloaded from this site. This constantly crashes soon after I initiate a render. I only have 4 gigs and have set the octree to very low.

I have an iMac quad i7 with osX.8.2, does anyone else have issue with Kray on the mac? What things should I be looking out for when I'm trying to find the cause of a crash?

Many thanks in advance,

Nige.
------------------------------
"I'm full of dust and guitars"
Syd Barrett - 1971
Janusz Biela

Re: Kray & Stability

Post by Janusz Biela »

barnabythebear wrote:Hiya all,

I have been playing around with the Kray demo and have experienced a few crashes. Most seem to be random while I'm doing things such as changing lighting (so maybe a LW issue?), but one crash that keeps happening is with the Lightportal-tu that I downloaded from this site. This constantly crashes soon after I initiate a render. I only have 4 gigs and have set the octree to very low.

I have an iMac quad i7 with osX.8.2, does anyone else have issue with Kray on the mac? What things should I be looking out for when I'm trying to find the cause of a crash?

Many thanks in advance,

Nige.

Hello

Skyportals are very sensitive (bug) especially when You play with lights (add, delete, change power of sources lights). I suggest not use them until fix issue.

I post my actual setup with basic scene for interior. Setup is quite strong (must be because are not Skyportals there and is very hard to smooth samples without them) but You can use this for heavy scenes with really good result.
Remember: more objects in scene (I talk about HEAVY interiors with Giga of data) then bigger problems with smoothing GI. This basic scene has smooth GI, but in bigger scene You can receive splotches. This is normal and to solve this problem are two ways:

- Skyportals (than we keep still low setup because photon map is clean and Kray doesn`t need later strong setup in Final Gathering to make samples clean and smooth)
- strong setup FG (higher min/max rays)

First solution with is problematic because bugs and no possibility working with Physky which I prefer (this will be in K3.0) .
Second problem is with high setup and problem with time render.

I use second solution because is almost no setup there and no problems with crashes.
Have nice tests!
Attachments
Physky.jpg
Physky.rar
(132.52 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
barnabythebear

Post by barnabythebear »

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. Your scene renders very well but I'm not sure I understand where the light is coming from and the role of the point light?

Many thanks

Nige.
Syd Barrett - 1971
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

barnabythebear wrote:Hello,

Thank you for your reply. Your scene renders very well but I'm not sure I understand where the light is coming from and the role of the point light?

Many thanks

Nige.
The sun comes from Physky plugin. Point light is decorative because You can not delete all lights from Layout (must be at least one). Point light is invisible in Kray because in physky plugin has ignore flag...or You can turn OFF this light in Scene Editor or You can setup 0% of power. I let in this way because sometimes You need Open GL preview to see.
This system of light is the best for interiors but as You see is quite dark and this is correct. To increase brightness in scene the best solution is to add area lights in windows or lumi panels + same lights from ceiling. Do not increase exposure in Physky - this is not good idea. try avoid strong lights also. Will post soon update of this scene with additional lights.
barnabythebear

Post by barnabythebear »

Hello Janusz,

Thank you for explaing that. I did try playing around with portals but they crashed Lightwave every time. They do seem very useful so I may wait until V3 before purchasing.

Many thanks,

Nigel
Syd Barrett - 1971
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

barnabythebear wrote:Hello Janusz,

Thank you for explaing that. I did try playing around with portals but they crashed Lightwave every time. They do seem very useful so I may wait until V3 before purchasing.

Many thanks,

Nigel

Yes is very difficult use them and perhaps I am only one who know how deal with them :( .
Skyportlas will be fix in next Kray and finally will work with physical sky from Kray.
Kray is created for photon mapping and final gathering so this tool is necessary for that. Photon mapping is very strong interpolated method - from infinite amount to thousands pieces reduction must create problems with correct position and power - why Skyportals are important to help engine reorder these photons.

Here small test, how it`s work. You can notice very accurate corners, no splotches
and light leaks. The different is big but more bigger is You switch to Final Gathering - then render is much faster, much cleaner, light is better balanced, AA is even faster.

Skyportals works now only in Photonmap mode (must be lumi sphere as source of light)
To test normal mode without skyportals just switch to Lightmap.
You can see in renders big different between both method and how important are skyportals. Of Course when You use Path Tracing You do not need them.

Have nice test!
Attachments
Photonmap_Skyportal.png
Lightmap_no_Skyportal.png
Skyportal_test.rar
(9.04 KiB) Downloaded 218 times
Keraressi Abdelkarim

Post by Keraressi Abdelkarim »

THNX A LOOOOOOOOOOOOT janusz i told ur reaaly talented :mrgreen:

thnx again :wink: