Animation Rendering in Kray

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
jonathlee

Re: Animation Rendering in Kray

Post by jonathlee »

Thanks Janusz. Working on 2 passes animation rendering seems really slow down the further rendering. Perhaps it's my wrong setting.
Now rushing on the modeling and single frame preview for client first.

I tried Fprime few years ago, on animation rendering. It's great for exterior scene, flicker free. You can see here (video in near end of the page)
http://jonathlee.com/3d-animation-initial-dream.html

However, working with Fprime for interior was one of the toughest challenge.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

jonathlee wrote:Thanks Janusz. Working on 2 passes animation rendering seems really slow down the further rendering. Perhaps it's my wrong setting.
Now rushing on the modeling and single frame preview for client first.

I tried Fprime few years ago, on animation rendering. It's great for exterior scene, flicker free. You can see here (video in near end of the page)
http://jonathlee.com/3d-animation-initial-dream.html

However, working with Fprime for interior was one of the toughest challenge.

You understand wrong idea of 2 pass rendering :) You can render animation with one pass fast and clean but You must do some procedures before this (is easy but for people who use first time those procedures is quite complicate) I would like to show this as tutorial but coming K3.0 and this will make unnecessary information noise (in K3.0 I want those procedures under one button click....) Animation is great and as You noticed there is nothing complicate to render: basic cubic houses no trees etc....so for Kray this animation will be matter of seconds to render. You can send me this scene for test. Because car moving too fast to use Allow Animation system from Kray will be risk, so only Time Interpolation will work correct in this case. If is time interpolation used then we must use two passes for each frame. But I think still will be fast render :)
jnom

Post by jnom »

Janusz Biela wrote: If is time interpolation used then we must use two passes for each frame.
Why is that? I didn't know that time interpolation mode in kray needed more than 1 pass to work.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

jnom wrote:
Janusz Biela wrote: If is time interpolation used then we must use two passes for each frame.
Why is that? I didn't know that time interpolation mode in kray needed more than 1 pass to work.

Is doesn`t matter what kind of render system You use (except Path Tracing or Uncache) You have only two choices with actual engine :
1. Render with one pass but to receive good GI You must setup very high Final Gathering which will affect horrible long time render
2. Render with two or more passes (I think maximum profitable is use 3, personally I use 2 passes) and receive good GI + good time render.

I think we will forget in K3.0 about those passes (now in Kray is necessary to use those passes to get good sampling and reduce min/max rays. Minimum/maximum rays is major part of engine and reducing it we reduce time render and also increase speed of AA and blur phase)
jonathlee

Post by jonathlee »

May I know what is the best settings for animation where the objects have no movement? Only the camera move.
I tried the settings of the Cornell Box, the rendering was pretty fast indeed.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

Thank You jonathlee for test scene. I hope You understand now more Photon Mapping idea in animation :wink:
Here small test from me:
- 300 frames , time render 30-50/frame sec
- BAKE every 20th frame (20 min total)
- final render with one pass
- Sunsky as Texture Environment + SpotSun
- resolution 720/480 pix
- FSAA G3
- AE post processing

[youtube]UQNRl8-bA68[/youtube]
jonathlee

Post by jonathlee »

Impressive indeed. Thank you very much Janusz, never thought rendering animation in Kray could be this fast.

Btw, is this video has added effects with After Effects?
I tried with setting Recurse 6-8, but the shadow still flat.
jnom

Post by jnom »

Regarding our other discussion about kray time interpolation creating huge fgi files. I think it could be improved. When I render animations in vray or lw I don't expect to get gigabytes for objects with deformation. That would be a lot of gb used. It would be great if kray's uncache mode is improved to deal with this situation.

All characters are rendered with lw montecarlo interpolated.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPlpjnLMA_E[/youtube]
embedding for youtube not working?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPlpjnLMA_E
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

jnom wrote:Regarding our other discussion about kray time interpolation creating huge fgi files. I think it could be improved. When I render animations in vray or lw I don't expect to get gigabytes for objects with deformation. That would be a lot of gb used. It would be great if kray's uncache mode is improved to deal with this situation.

All characters are rendered with lw montecarlo interpolated.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPlpjnLMA_E[/youtube]
embedding for youtube not working?
Embedding does not work. But also something is wrong with normal short code...we check forum setup.
About gi file: size is depending from how good setup you have. I try all the time be close QMC quality and this affect a lot of samples and huge GI file. Will talk with G. about size...maybe it is solution to make smaller.
This animation above took 170 MB of GI file (BAKE mode)...is quite a lot ...is not?
Btw, can You send me 2-3 of those animation for test? Will test tham with Allow and Time Interpolation...
Great characters, very pro!
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

jnom wrote: embedding for youtube not working?
try:
vPlpjnLMA_E
between [youtube][/youtube]

[youtube]vPlpjnLMA_E[/youtube]
jnom

Post by jnom »

How did you embedd my video?
Unfortunately I can't share anything due to nda. I am able to test them and other animated projects with kray 3.0 if there will be a beta soon.
The 170mb bake is from the previous the cornel animation? Shared animation mode? Because when I used time interpolation it was like 1gig of fgi. Uncache mode is probably versatile gi mode if kray improve it more.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

jnom wrote:How did you embedd my video?
put code video between
[youtube ]code of video, not whole link[/youtube ]
I put space bar behind youtube to see code.
So should be that:
[youtube ]UQNRl8-bA68[/youtube ]

my whole link is http://youtu.be/UQNRl8-bA68
Unfortunately I can't share anything due to nda. I am able to test them and other animated projects with kray 3.0 if there will be a beta soon.
The 170mb bake is from the previous the cornel animation? Shared animation mode? Because when I used time interpolation it was like 1gig of fgi. Uncache mode is probably versatile gi mode if kray improve it more.
170 MB is from 300 frame animation of apartment with BAKE every 20th frame...so TOTAL 15 Full backed frames each one has ~12 MB.
To save You HD space You can use SAVE photon Map (create very, very small file...almost nothing). I suggest it for big scenes.
After that You can use UNCACHE (slow render) or normal Final Gathering (fast render) with LOAD mode. (no share!). This is dedicated for render farms.