Splotches with curtain

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
jonathlee

Splotches with curtain

Post by jonathlee »

Hello everyone, can anyone plz help me on this issue plz? After I added the curtain, splotches appears seriously.

I added lumi poly outside of the windows to increase photon. While the curtain setting was previously downloaded in this forum.

Rendered without Curtain

Rendered with Curtain

Rendered with Transparent Curtain
Janusz Biela

Re: Splotches with curtain

Post by Janusz Biela »

Well, pretty much You did the worst. No sources of light outside windows...by shooting photons from outside you completely destroy path of photons (hole in window, window frames, glass window and curtains ) then after that You have to use very strong setup to smooth splotches. To put skyportal inside room (to "repair" photons) is also not good idea. I suggest put Lumi panel inside or better area light with small power shader 3 (this will increase brightness inside room and will make less strong area light or lumi. Of course You need light from outside also then Kray physki will be is the best solution (give good photons and color ) I warn from HDRi (they give bad photons and colors - they are good for production renders in studio scenes). Do not raise exposure`s physki too much , just enough to see good level of brightness near windows frames. In this scene is small hole between curtains ...and there I would like put in front area light and also from ceiling.
Attachments
Area.jpg
jonathlee

Post by jonathlee »

Thank you very much Janusz, forgot about the main light source to generate the photons :D
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

jonathlee wrote:Thank you very much Janusz, forgot about the main light source to generate the photons :D
Do not use transparency for curtain (of course are some situation when You have to). This is next potential situation to make photons let say "dizzy". I post double translucency NODE for curtains, so photon comes from outside through curtains and gives light in another side...but coming from inside to outside less (to protect area windows from over bright). Inside scene control for both side of polygon (must be ONE SIDE poly!). Also this works well with plants: grass, tree leafs (apparently is no another choice for that and this is the best solution now. We do not have yet SSS shader in Kray which make better light).
Also good works with milk lamps in interiors (just add reflection and You have nice plastic lamp effect)
Attachments
two_side_control.jpg
One_side_control.jpg
curtain.lws
(13.67 KiB) Downloaded 217 times
curtain.lwo
(2.12 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
jonathlee

Post by jonathlee »

Thank you very much for such a detailed explanation, Janusz.

I thought setting Diffuse+Transparent + Translucent on a double sided surface could mimic the real curtain in Kray at first.
Didn't realize it will reduce photons until causing splotches....