Upping the settings

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
stefanj

Upping the settings

Post by stefanj »

Hi folks,

I think the main hurdle for me (and many others) is that there are way too many parameters in this plugin. I know it's because the creator wants us to be able to optimize scenes - but I'm sure it wouldn't be such a bad idea to embed some presets: "Medium room, quality 5", "Small room, quality 10" and so on.

I've found some pretty fast test settings to set the basic light parameters. Now the full frame takes about three hours to render. Now I'd like to up the quality so it will render for about 6-9 hours instead - but have little clue as to what will bring out more texture and contrast.

I've attached the current settings. If anyone has suggestions to something that give me the exact same light, but with more texture detail (even sampling) - please let me know. Thanks!
Attachments
preview_settings.jpg
preview_settings.jpg (120.38 KiB) Viewed 3341 times
silverlw

Post by silverlw »

Start changing pixelfilter to Cone 1.0 instead of box 0.5. If you want it even sharper use Lanczos. Higher contrast can be acheived in many ways, one is via hdri/pshop but i suspect you use alot of bounces and therefore gets a quite low contrast/foggy effect. Try to use as low number of bounces that suits your taste. with less bounces you get darker shadows. The factor that above all the rest affects quality is Numbers of Finalgather (FG)
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

If you use a lot of bounces (10 or more), do not use diffuse levels over 60-70% or so.
jure

Post by jure »

Your settings are acctully kind of funny... But if it produces good results then nevermind.

A quick rundown of what you can tweak:
Photons tab:

- Global photons: for average room you need about 1million photons...
- N: this amount of photons will get blended togather in irradiance (you need clean irradiance for good render check here: http://www.kraytracing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=89)
- paths: change this number to 1 or more if you're getting light leaks...

FG tab:
- min rays / max rays: leave min rays at 100 and only change max rays to as high number as you need to get your image splotch free (usually 1000 or more) (higher number longer rendering)
- spatial tolerance: if this number is too high you'll loose small shadow details so make it as high as you need. (lower number longer rendering)
- distance min/max: this will also influence small shadow details
- B/D: upping this nummber will make denser samples (use this if you can't get samples dense enough)
- oversample: use values over 100% if you can't get rid of splotches. Values under 100% are no good usually. (higher than 100% will increase render time)

sampling tab:
- filter radius: 0.5 is supposed to be the sharpest AA
- prerender: put this to 50%.. it will help smoothing irradiance
- undersample threshold: you can leave this at 0.0

Also check this links:
http://www.kraytracing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=112
http://www.kraytracing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=133
- Jure