Denoising Deep Monte Carlo Renderings

A place to hang out and talk about everything else...
promity

Denoising Deep Monte Carlo Renderings

Postby promity » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:26 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR7dypJdkEQ

DisneyResearchHub

We present a novel algorithm to denoise deep Monte Carlo renderings, in which pixels contain multiple color values, each for a different range of depths. Deep images are a more expressive representation of the scene than conventional flat images. However, since each depth bin receives only a fraction of the flat pixel’s samples, denoising the bins is harder due to the less accurate mean and variance estimates. Furthermore, deep images lack a regular structure in depth—the number of depth bins and their depth ranges vary across pixels. This prevents a straightforward application of patch-based distance metrics frequently used to improve the robustness of existing denoising filters. We address these constraints by combining a flat image-space Non-Local Means filter operating on pixel colors with a deep cross-bilateral filter operating on auxiliary features (albedo, normal, etc.). Our approach significantly reduces noise in deep images while preserving their structure. To our best knowledge, our algorithm is the first to enable efficient deep compositing workflows with denoised Monte Carlo renderings. We demonstrate the performance of our filter on a range of scenes highlighting the challenges and advantages of denoising deep images.

https://www.disneyresearch.com/publicat ... denoising/

Janusz Biela

Re: Denoising Deep Monte Carlo Renderings

Postby Janusz Biela » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:37 pm

Thanks. G. has also already sources for many de noise engines. In time we will start this also.

promity

Postby promity » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:05 pm

vgabex

Postby vgabex » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:36 pm

I tell my story just to sense how important are denoising and using GPU power for GI calculation:

I have to create a mass amount of realistically lit 3d floorplans. I decided to leave the LW+Kray world for this project and started using Unity.
5 month ago, lightmapping with CPU took about 20 minutes

Since then Unity received big-big updates.
Now I can use my GPU power and I have 2 different denoising option (Optix and OpenImageDenoise) built in. Open the attached image and be amazed by the GI calculation time....
Attachments
screen_01_bake_time_12s.jpg

Janusz Biela

Postby Janusz Biela » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:18 pm

Very fast. 4 bounce lights. I would like see normal interior render....

vgabex

Postby vgabex » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:34 pm

Here are some sample image made by me:
screen_7680x4320_2019-04-08_13-16-38.jpg

K38_3_v01_1.jpg

Iroda_329b_Látványterv_05.jpg

Iroda_303b_v02_Látványterv_4.jpg

- Render times, test renders: these expressions basically does not exists. Click, then a sip of coffee and you are ready. Maybe for the final version you turn up some settings and wait for 2-3 minutes maximum.
- I can edit everything in real time... No more material, light etc planning, doing test renders. You change something and you see the result immediately.
- Of course the quality of GI is not even close to Kray level
- For me the most important is to visualize my design ideas rapidly, and be very flexible with my client (example: after I created 60 image they asked me to change the material of the furnitures. No problem, 1 hour and I was ready. This was more important than contact shadow and perfect GI)

If you want to see what is the best Unity archviz, click this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_s-8GX37lE

In this year Unity'll have also GPU raytracing support (correct realtime reflections, GPU accelerated realtime GI, etc). It envolves at a whole different level. I'm preparing my assets & myself for the new realtime era.

Janusz Biela

Postby Janusz Biela » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:36 pm

Yes , very nice and promising. GI is not bad at all!

cruisermori

Postby cruisermori » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:53 am

I'm slowly moving to Unreal for the same reason you described vgabex. LW 2019 and Unreal works together extremely well. Speed/quality ratio is unbeatable. Majority of our customers prefer speed/cost/quality in this priority sequence.
KRay is great for the GI quality but too slow in the implementation of new tools.

Return to “Lounge”