John Pawson`s Plain Space scene

Janusz Biela

John Pawson`s Plain Space scene

Post by Janusz Biela »

Hope I did not make mistake with settings - if yes, then I will upload later lws files.
Scene for free for Kray users. Inside package all necessary files include examples for all system renders except animation (lws).
Render only done by QMC system. Include some my new Node system with my experimental diffuse and reflection system based on curves (no Fresnel).

Here previews:

Normal HQ direct render:
Plain_space_cam01_HQ.jpg
Override fast:
Plain_space_cam01_override_fast.jpg
Override HQ:
Plain_space_cam01_override_HQ.jpg
Low quality QMC re-scaled down:
Plain_space_cam01_HQ_rescaled.jpg
Panorama (basic system without fancy GUI and effects, not include package - online only):

link to panorama
Pano.png
Scene package:
plain_space_export_v02.7z
(27.79 MiB) Downloaded 290 times
This is my last scene in K2. From now I do not participate/use in K2 engine render (only forum helping and bugs). I hope soon will get next K3 update which will allow me finally render with full options and starting show real renders on forum.
thomas

Re: John Pawson`s Plain Space scene

Post by thomas »

Wow. Insane quality - as we expect from Janusz! Super thanks!!! Very little time tonight, but tomorrow I'm checking out the settings in detial. Curves instead of fresnel shader? Very interesting! I wonder what the advantages are - besides speed.
ideart

Post by ideart »

Janusz you are one of the most generous and civilized person I have ever interacted with.
Thank you so much for sharing with us this wonderful scene.

P.s. I see you used version 1.61 so I am hoping soon to be published ?
sotto3d.com
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

Thx! Seems ok this new K2 update. Nothing strange.
Btw scene: I just refresh my old scene so is not according to references photos. It has some updates for surfaces and light.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

I uploaded update (v02) because some mistakes in Nodes: should be reflection blur not refraction. This is GUI bug problem also because when you zoom out you can not recognize which one is which. It should be done it by different colors.
thomas

Post by thomas »

My god that node tree for the walls surface looks complicated! What is the goal of this complicated setup? Render speed, Physical accuracy, complete and easy control or all three combined?
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

thomas wrote:My god that node tree for the walls surface looks complicated! What is the goal of this complicated setup? Render speed, Physical accuracy, complete and easy control or all three combined?
This is not complicate - it is minimum what you need to know when comes to texture processing. You can not do it in another way because this is impossible. Do not exist software which will do it for you.
Where from software will know what is level of surface blur or reflection blur? Also bump level you must setup manually. Of course in other software exist GUI menu which simplify that situation...but we do not have that - better then nothing.
Still user must setup: texture color, diffuse level, reflection level, bump level, reflection blur level.
Nodes are very good for brain health (same as learn languages): no Alzheimer in future :wink:

Slowly I finish last ultimate Node system for Kray (universal)...soon new topic. Remember this is only about texture processing because for shaders we have to wait for K3 where will be additional support for physical surfacing behavior: SSS, displacement, Ani-reflection, real glass, OrenNayar diffuse, etc.

Texture processing will be always and users must learn this.
Here screenshot system Node where user control ONLY 2-4 Nodes (on the left side: textures, reflection, bump - depends from situation) rest Nodes are automatic:
Node.jpg
PS
Include also Edge/Corner processing.
thomas

Post by thomas »

Hi Janusz!

Wow! If this is the minimum I need to know, I don't want to see the maximum of complicated nodes! :wink:

But, challenge accepted! I'm going to study this node tree this weekend to see how much I understand. One question: the SimpleColourTool nodes, where can we find that one?
ideart

Post by ideart »

It is part of db&w Tools, you can download them for free here:
http://www.db-w.com/products/dbwtools/docs
sotto3d.com
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

You do not need learn anything. What you need is choose texture, bump map, tweak texture colour, tweak reflection and blur level.
thomas

Post by thomas »

Alright! It's good to see that it is so practical in use! Great job. Still, I'm probably going to research the node tree a bit this weekend because I like to understand what I'm doing! :)
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

Here is example without Nodes and with:
studio.png
studio_Nodes.png
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

Update lws for Final Gathering:
K2_G4.jpg
plain_space_HIRes_HQ_FinalGathering.lws
(153.45 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
Attention
Kray with smaller resolution create less accurate sampling so this setting with LowRes will not work (visible splotches or missing GI samples).
For faster render can be used FSAA G3 (almost same effect)