Lightwave sinking ship ??

General disscusion about Kray
ZodiaQ

Lightwave sinking ship ??

Post by ZodiaQ »

I have been reading online stories of many people being concerned lightwave is slowly dying. There hasn't been any significant update for 2 years. Latest Lightwave related Blog is from february!? Newtek giving no information about progress of LW.
I mean i only do basic architectural stuff and my projects are mostly similar so I use only limited part of LW. In fact I am still on 11.6.3 and that's just fine for me. It serves my needs.
But I do get a bit nervous reading stuff about LW being a sinking ship .....
https://www.facebook.com/ricardo.urbano ... 7899526788
What are your thoughts about this Janusz?
Janusz Biela

Re: Lightwave sinking ship ??

Post by Janusz Biela »

They have a lot to update in LW Core. G. works with LW2017 SDK because we will use theirs shader system also.
For that we need VCM - this will allow us use Shader System from new LW also.
Lightwave will never die because this is impossible in market: even if will fail (I doubt) for sure will be other company which will buy it and develop it further.

I am worry about Max3D....this software become extremely expensive (if you want buy V-ray even mad extremely ) ...this provoke "fatal damage effect" in market when many clients will drop this for much cheaper solution (for example Google Sketchup: thgis happen now) or they just go to piracy solution (this is plaque now with Autodesk). If this will happen it will get effect of "snow ball": they blow so much market so they have a lot coders and workers...missing money...fire people...fire people...raising price, cutting costs....etc,. I give them 2-5 years, if they will not change strategy - this is the end.
Second problem compatibility of MAX...every new version is reaping you pocket literally.

Anyway, nobody force anybody to use software. Everybody use software which is completing his pipe line. I stick with LW because I need easy and light GUI interface for K3. For architecture is 100% enough for some levels. With K3 we will get everything...
thomas

Post by thomas »

There's no use in worrying. The market is too unpredictable, especially with Autodesk buying up everything, and sometimes killing off software. For all we know next year Cinema4D is owned by Autodesk. Or even worse: maybe Autodesk buys LightWave!!!

Yes, LightWave seems as if development is standing still, especially looking at the blog, so there are plenty of reasons to worry, but as Janusz says the price structure of Cinema and MAX is extremely expensive. Looking around me in Belgium, I see 50% of graphic designers starting to do 3D work where they didn't before, and they all use Cinema4D, but honestly, they're not using paid licenses, if you know what I mean.

We'll see what happens. Yes, some news from NewTek would be great. Maybe in the worst case scenario things go down the drain and Modo buys up the IP to "resurrect" LightWave :-)
ZodiaQ

Post by ZodiaQ »

haha Thomas the last line that would be something :)
In the meantime I downloaded Blender, not that i see any chance of getting my workflow ever over to Blender but this is a great moment to just take a closer look. I must say Blender has gotten more mature since the last time i tried it for one day some years ago :)
It's just nice to play with and maybe have psychological plan B (i mean X :D )
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

Blender is very good.
Keraressi Abdelkarim

Post by Keraressi Abdelkarim »

i hope they will new information about lightwave. new lw is beast; but there is no news :( . not update from one year .

i hope kray3 will work nice in new lw if lw dev groupe they will release it .

anyway we still got k3 inside old lightwave :D 11.6 and more :D . soo we can use thos lw limitation with k3 render wich its already amazing PPM vcm :D ^^ . and future will got the samle quality as corona or fstorm render ^^ .
abe42

Post by abe42 »

LW 2019 is there ...
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

Is impossible to sink - that's business rules: always will be company which will buy rights from Newtek if something happen. But it will not, because software is still developing. Anyway if it happen - it will happen for good. No worries.
thomas

Post by thomas »

I agree, it won't sink anytime soon. But boy, still no true and practical subpixel displacement in 2019???!!! How long have competitors had that feature now? 5 to 10 years?
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

thomas wrote:I agree, it won't sink anytime soon. But boy, still no true and practical subpixel displacement in 2019???!!! How long have competitors had that feature now? 5 to 10 years?
And we have build it in K3 Core :lol: (two versions engine of that) Not GUI yet for this feature.
thomas

Post by thomas »

Alright! That's awesome to hear Janusz!

At this moment I'm doing most of my render work in LW+Octane, because it's mostly product renders, so lots of glass, metal and subpixel displacement mapping for details.

The moment K3 has this and a good 'physical' material library I can test and try to switch back to Kray!