BARCO Projection

General disscusion about Kray
thibault

BARCO Projection

Post by thibault »

Hi,
A client ask me if it's possible to make animation for a BARCO projection (12000 lm).
Projection wall - 20 m x 8 m
Any idea for resolution rendering ?
Thanks in advance
Janusz Biela

Re: BARCO Projection

Post by Janusz Biela »

Actually this subject is very difficult and apparently not well explained (a lot web pages about it, but information with mess and not complete)

Resolution 20x8 m doesn`t mean you have to go to extreme rendering (100.000 pix)!

Is just one question for client: what is the minimum distance for watching?
I doubt they will watch it with 2 meters. For billboard printing important is ppi information (pixel per inch).
For that you need calculator:
http://www.photokaboom.com/photography/ ... .htm#Print

In first calculator - you add resolution and destination ppi. Simple.
But now is question: what ppi shell I use?
Here is what I found the best (simple information in chart):
http://www.directprint.com.au/news-at-d ... -size.html

where for 10 meters you need only 9 ppi minimum!

So watching this billboard from minimum distance 2.4 m (I think this is very extreme minimum distance) you need 37 ppi.
Using calculator above it gives us: 78740x11654 pix which is far to big for this what you need because I doubt it will be watched from that short distance.

Try find more information in web for minimum ppi and distance view and also try get information from client about minimum watching distance.
thibault

Post by thibault »

Thanks Janusz,
I'm going to read this link.
Watching distance is 10 m minimum.
This is for a bank conference in auditorium/theater.
thomas

Post by thomas »

Hi Thibault,

For situations like this I always try to:
1) Do a test with still image with the client by my side
2) Get approval from the client on the resolution before rendering.

The last thing you want is needing to re-render the whole animation because the client says (after final delivery) "Hmmm, I would have though the image would be sharper...".

Also, don't forget to charge for computing time in your price quote, and if the job is big enough, think about using GarageFarm or simply buying a new super-duper computer :D
thomas

Post by thomas »

Out of curiosity, can't you get the technical specifications of the projector used (and the number of projectors)?
thibault

Post by thibault »

Hi Thomas,
For the time being, I just know it's BARCO with 12000 lm and the client have 4.
Yes, i'm going with Renderfarm.
Ranchcomputing i think because they are French and that I will have need of advice on the rendering and need to understand very good. :mrgreen:
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

thibault wrote:Thanks Janusz,
I'm going to read this link.
Watching distance is 10 m minimum.
This is for a bank conference in auditorium/theater.
I think I did not catch idea, sorry :D I was thinking about print situation.
I am not sure you will find information for that what you need.
I think FullHD is necessary minimum for that (of course with adapted resolution for 20/8 ratio)

Is this 1,920 x 1,200 (WUXGA)?
mdharrington

Post by mdharrington »

if you can.... find the spec of the projector and playback device.

if they are using 4 projectors together, its a good bet it is 4k at least...
20 m is just under the standard IMAX size (about 22m) 70mm IMAX film is about 4k+ in terms of resolution

Barco only has 2, 12000 lumen projectors listed in the large venue models....and they are both 1920x1200.....so 4 together would be 3840x2400 (quadHD+)

you could get away with a 3k+ ( 3072 x 1728) image, which is similar to ARRI Alexa camera size and upscale it to 4k using Lanczos algorithm and probably nobody will notice, it's done quite often.
Last edited by mdharrington on Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thomas

Post by thomas »

Well, that looks like the resolution will be under 10.000 pixels horizontal which seems okay! Since you will be rendering to a renderfarm it doesn't really matter, right? I mean, in the end you can just let the client decide how much rendertime he wants to pay and feed it to the renderfarm...

For what it's worth, tech support on GarageFarm is unbelievably excellent (and in realtime on Skype), so I would definitely give these guys a chance.
thibault

Post by thibault »

Thanks Guys,
Seems it's a BARCO HDX-W20 FLEX - with QXGA input (2048 x 1536).
The client use one Barco for a 20 X 10 m projection. Do you thinks it's serious ?
Thanks in advance
thomas

Post by thomas »

Hey Thibault,

Seems low res for this size, to be honest. I wouldn't go below 5000 or 6000 pixels wide, but some (corporate) clients don't really have high standards when it comes to graphics or resolution :)

Possibly it might be a good idea to have your "landing" shots (where animation stops for a second) on frames that are sort of "orthogonal", so you have perfect vertical and horizontal lines, and as few jagged edges as possible.