Kray Demo version 1.6

General disscusion about Kray
MacGregg

Kray Demo version 1.6

Post by MacGregg »

I am a nooooob to KRay. I am trying to render my first image. I bring up the Kray Options panel and have left things at default. I click "Render Frame" and get an Error popup Render Log:

*** Input : KrayPort

!!! This is an old version of LWSC file. Cannot load.

!!! There were errors, cannot render.

*** Press Enter or Esc to quit.

I have done only a quick read of the manual 1.0. I am using LW9.?.:roll:

Any thoughts would be appreciated. :D

MacGregg
jure

Post by jure »

Are you using LW 9.2?

Download demo scenes from resources page and try those.
- Jure
MacGregg

Post by MacGregg »

Yes LW9.2 :roll:
jure

Post by jure »

I belive newtek changed fileformat in LW9.2. This might be why this error appears. Check if there's old version compatibility switch somewhere.
- Jure
erwin zwart

Post by erwin zwart »

Gregg Greayer wrote:Yes LW9.2 :roll:
1.612 demo was written before 9.0 and works from 6.0 to 9.0 scene format. Newtek made some small changes and that breaks all plugins saving scenefiles and using them. It's easy to implement so you can be sure that it will be fixed. Use 9.0 until then (or 8.5 like me ;) )
MacGregg

Post by MacGregg »

Erwin Zwart, thanks that was it. LW9.0 works fine. There isn't anyway to save an LW9.0 from LW9.2 it only had LW5.6 is it just offering the lowest compatible version? The LW5.6 version loaded into LW9.0 just fine.

There doesn't seem to be a setting for number of bounces with Photon Mapping selected, did I just miss it? This is rendering now, it is not going as fast as I was hoping, it looks like it will be more than an hour. I have my image size in LW set to 1280x1024 but it is only rendering a 640x480 image is this a limit of the Demo version of Kray or is this just the rendering preview size?

Thanks,
Gregg
:mrgreen:
silverlw

Post by silverlw »

Numbers of bounces equal to the recursions set in lightwave.
Final output will be 1280x1024 but preview window in 1.612 was limited to 640x480.
jure

Post by jure »

To be exact ray recursion limit in LW is what Kray considers number if bounces (there are no settings in LW GI panel that KRay uses).

To get you started check help and support forum.. This thread is probably heplful:
http://www.kraytracing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=229
- Jure
MacGregg

Can't get Output bigger than 640x480

Post by MacGregg »

I have my image size in LW set to 1280x1024 but it is only rendering a 640x480 image is this a limit of the Demo version of Kray? I have tried several settings and I always get a 640x480 image preview and Output file size? Just what am I doing wrong? This is the Demo version of Kray but the only difference is supposed to be a render settings watermark on the bottom edge.

Thanks,
Gregg
tajino

Post by tajino »

You have to set an output file in the Kray panel (General Tab), the 640x480 render preview is just a render preview. The output file will be your full render size.
MacGregg

Post by MacGregg »

Yes, that is what I am doing. I have set an Output file path and name in the KrayOptions General Tab. But, where is the size set? I am setting it in LW Render Globals Dialog box and yes Camera Properties is Global is Enabled. Is that the correct place to set image size or is there a place to set it in Kray?

I am not seeing enormously fast render times, this 640x480 image is taking 1.5 to 2.0 hours. I think there are only 80,000 poly's. This is with some kind of AA on edges. I also set something :) to 200,000 and N=2000 based on what I read here, that this would add only a couple minutes to the render. This is an abstract image with 6 area lights set recursion (bounces) set to 10. Oh, I only have an Athlon XP 2700 so maybe that's it. :oops:

I guess I should try some of the demo scenes first. :)

Thanks,
Gregg
MacGregg

Post by MacGregg »

Well, I just can't make a render bigger than 640x480!!! Are you guys SURE there is not a limit on image size for the Kray Demo version?? I just don't know what else it can be?

Thanks,
Gregg
erwin zwart

Post by erwin zwart »

Gregg Greayer wrote:Well, I just can't make a render bigger than 640x480!!! Are you guys SURE there is not a limit on image size for the Kray Demo version?? I just don't know what else it can be?

Thanks,
Gregg
since 9.0 you can set camera render size in 2 places, render globals and in Camera properties. When you use Render globals you have to switch on that in the camera properties. I would change the format in the camera properties and leave the Use Render Globals ticked off.
Please try that.

Also, you CAN save a 9.0 LWS from 9.2, it is exactly the same as LW6/7/8 one. So with 9.2 we are now at the 4th level of LWS:
LWSC
in header,
LW 6,7,8 and 9.0 have LWSC 3
LW 5 has LWSC 2, and earlier LWSC 1 I think.
MacGregg

Post by MacGregg »

Well, Erwin Zwart you were right!!! You MUST set the image size in the Camera Preferences and you CAN NOT Enable Global at the same time!!!

Thanks very much, that was just driving me crazy :evil: I think that would be a bug in Kray 1.612.