Baking with Kray

General disscusion about Kray
jure

Baking with Kray

Post by jure »

This one's for Paolo: I read in this thread http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=40039 that you're using Kray's baker for your work.
How do you go about making UV's for such a huge objects?
Do you have many texture maps and how big are they?
In what channel do you put the baked texture then?

I personally haven't tried baking yet with Kray. Been playing around just a little but am curioused what can be done.
Thanks...
Pavlov

Re: Baking with Kray

Post by Pavlov »

jure wrote:This one's for Paolo: I read in this thread http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=40039 that you're using Kray's baker for your work.
How do you go about making UV's for such a huge objects?
Do you have many texture maps and how big are they?
In what channel do you put the baked texture then?

I personally haven't tried baking yet with Kray. Been playing around just a little but am curioused what can be done.
Thanks...
Well..
the obj has several Atlas UVs, divided in a logical manner (an UV correspond to a material or a layer, depending on the cases.
I bake GI only, no texture no direct light.
I get textures which vary from dark bluish to orange white, depending on which kind of light is bouncing (sky, sun, both). Here i have all shadowing coming from bounces too.
I apply them in color channel, on the top on other layers (texture, procedurals and so on) with a MULTIPLY mode. this allows baked GI to modify the textures, giving light or darkness, and color dominances/bleedings from bluish to orange. Then, i raise luminosity to 100%, leaving every other parameter unchanged. I kill every kind of light in the scene BUT the sun. this way, materials shows up with GI in every place, and where the sun hits you get a natural direct lighting (which i didnt bake to have more precision). Add some spin to the sun to get soft shadows, tweak a bit surface params to get the right look, and you're ready for animation.

Paolo Zambrini