Network rendering question.

General disscusion about Kray
Noble_forum

Network rendering question.

Post by Noble_forum »

Hello everyone,
I recently bought kray and I would like to know how to setup network rendering with 3 pc's. How do I do this?

I have setup lw's screamernet in the past. Is it similar? :?

Thank you

---------------------------------
LW9, kray.
silverlw

Post by silverlw »

Before the iminent release of Kray 1.7 your only way to use Kray in cooperation mode is to install lightwave on the 3 machines+Kray, Load the scene on the 3 machines and let them render every third but different frame on the machines. I should set "render frame step" in lw to 3 on all machines but set different start numbers on them like machine 1 starts at frame 1, machine 2 starts at frame 2, machine 3 starts at frame 3. You can also use saved GI calculated on one machine, copy the GI data to the others and use BOTH for loading/updating the GI data while rendering. This might sound a bit awkward but a setup like this is done in a minute or two when youre used to it. Before Kray got multithreaded (1.7 wich i run) i used this technique to speed up anims on my dualcore computer. The "real" network support will come when 1.7 get's out since we will then provide a kray.exe (standalone) wich can be controlled by for example butterfly Netrender. Then you can easily control 200 cpu's via BNR's interface.
_mats_

Post by _mats_ »

Hi Silverlw

Thanks for the heads up.

Another questions, will 1.6 or 1.7 work through screamernet right out of the box? I am using a combination of Mac/PC render nodes successfully, using LW 9.0 native renderer, using renderfarm commander as the host control.

Will Kray 1.6 or 1.7 work in this configuration? (since you mentioned butterfly netrender specifically)

best regards and awaiting 1.7 anxiously.

Matt -
erwin zwart

Post by erwin zwart »

_mats_ wrote:Hi Silverlw

Thanks for the heads up.

Another questions, will 1.6 or 1.7 work through screamernet right out of the box? I am using a combination of Mac/PC render nodes successfully, using LW 9.0 native renderer, using renderfarm commander as the host control.

Will Kray 1.6 or 1.7 work in this configuration? (since you mentioned butterfly netrender specifically)

best regards and awaiting 1.7 anxiously.

Matt -
if renderfarm controller can control a render.exe by commandline mode, it should be able to control it. But it will not work through the native renderer. LWSN can't support now 3rd party engines like FPrime and kray...