Kray 2.3 update released

General disscusion about Kray
jure

Kray 2.3 update released

Post by jure »

Hello all,

I know it's been quiet for some time here and you all have been wondering what's up. Well what I can tell you is that the progress on Kray v3 has been quite good and we have laid ground for some great new features and improvements (including interactive rendering and displacements). Unfortunately things are still in heavy development so I cannot show you and cool previews yet. But as soon as I get something to show I'll post it here.

In the mean time we have fixed some annoying bugs and made some improvements to Kray so here is Kray 2.3 release. You can download it right now from the downloads area. The new features include:
- new Misc tab in Kray options plugin where you can easily access some of the most used commands
- support for object/surface alpha added (that's for all you compositing guys)
- instances can now be instanced using particles.

Enjoy!
- Jure
brownie

Re: Kray 2.3 update released

Post by brownie »

Very good and some indeniably bonuses with these new features.

We are encouraging you for a promising v3, which surely will be a milestone.
funk

Post by funk »

I used the contact form but decided to create an account here just in case the email goes missing :)

I have been using the kray 2.2 demo for a little while and decided to try the updated 2.3 demo.

There are a few problems:
1. There is no longer a way to select Kray in the lightwave Render Globals > Render tab. I can see all the kray plugins in master plugins (ctrl+Q), so part of the plugin is working.
2. When loading a kray scene I get an error "No plug-in type ExtRenderHandler found with name KrayRenderer. Would you like to load it from disk>"
3. After loading the scene I can open master plugins (ctrl+Q) and render Kray from there, but kray always tried to render all frames in the sequence, even though I press render frame (single)
4. I tested a kray scene from the depo ( http://www.kraytracing.com/joomla/forum ... =viewtopic ) which uses a fisheye lens, but the 2.3 demo renders it with no fisheye effect (as if using a normal camera)

UPDATE: These problems only appear in the 32bit plugin. 64 bit works fine
Win7 64/Core i7-975 3.33GHz/12GB RAM/GTX 670 2GB/2x1920x1200/Wacom Intuos4 M
I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live - Jesus Christ
jnom

Post by jnom »

Congrats Kray team. And I think my bugging you guys worked and the alpha matt settings is a big deal not only for compositing guys but for people that know short cuts to correcting or editing stills. This is a big boost in productivity in that you don't have to rerender over and over again. Time for some testing :mrgreen:
jdomingo

Post by jdomingo »

jnom wrote:And I think my bugging you guys worked and the alpha matt settings is a big deal
Hi jnom or jure, any short tuts on how is this alpha matt thing works? thanks
dballesg

Post by dballesg »

Hi,

Good news and thank you very much. Looks like the v3.0 will be quite interesting.

I guess you made changes to the LScripts that Kray uses as well??. The link to download the uncompiled versions is broken.

David
cohen

Post by cohen »

YAY! \o/

It is great to hear work on 3.0 is happening. Maybe by the end of the year we can see a little preview of what has been cooking all this time? :wink:

I am super stoked. 8)

cheers!
jure

Post by jure »

dballesg wrote:Hi,

Good news and thank you very much. Looks like the v3.0 will be quite interesting.

I guess you made changes to the LScripts that Kray uses as well??. The link to download the uncompiled versions is broken.

David
Download is fixed now.
- Jure
jure

Post by jure »

funk wrote:I used the contact form but decided to create an account here just in case the email goes missing :)

I have been using the kray 2.2 demo for a little while and decided to try the updated 2.3 demo.

There are a few problems:
1. There is no longer a way to select Kray in the lightwave Render Globals > Render tab. I can see all the kray plugins in master plugins (ctrl+Q), so part of the plugin is working.
2. When loading a kray scene I get an error "No plug-in type ExtRenderHandler found with name KrayRenderer. Would you like to load it from disk>"
3. After loading the scene I can open master plugins (ctrl+Q) and render Kray from there, but kray always tried to render all frames in the sequence, even though I press render frame (single)
4. I tested a kray scene from the depo ( http://www.kraytracing.com/joomla/forum ... =viewtopic ) which uses a fisheye lens, but the 2.3 demo renders it with no fisheye effect (as if using a normal camera)

UPDATE: These problems only appear in the 32bit plugin. 64 bit works fine
Thanks, we will fix it ASAP.
- Jure
jnom

Post by jnom »

Is shadowdensity supported in 2.3? Or only constant value? It would be great to have a mini update that would include support for shadowdensity. I included the sample scene. I usually render out moving objects separately as well as the shadow from the main bg render for flexibility and shadowdensity or a shadow catcher is needed for this. Kraybuffers can see direct and indirect light but can't separate out the objects that cast shadows from other objects.
I've tested 2.3 with different render modes with unseen characters,etc with bones and it works fast unlike older builds where there are errors and renders slow. Whatever you guys did its great.
Attachments
lwshadowdensity.png
krayshadowdensity.zip
(654.65 KiB) Downloaded 297 times
zonah

Post by zonah »

jdomingo about new Alpha compatibility you only need to setup your objects same that in LW.

I do a little test and work fine.

You can set Alpha channel per object or per Surface.

1.- Per object: In Layout open Ocject Property , Tab Render, and select unaffected by object. This exclude this object on alpha.
2.- Per Surface: Open Surface Editor, Advanced Tab and set Alpha channel Opaccity with a value or unaffected to exclude.
zonah

Post by zonah »

Well some image here, i cant edit my msg :(
surface.PNG
OBJECT
object.PNG
SURFACE
jdomingo

Post by jdomingo »

thanks zona, will try this one too.
jnom

Post by jnom »

jnom wrote:Is shadowdensity supported in 2.3? Or only constant value? It would be great to have a mini update that would include support for shadowdensity. I included the sample scene. I usually render out moving objects separately as well as the shadow from the main bg render for flexibility and shadowdensity or a shadow catcher is needed for this. Kraybuffers can see direct and indirect light but can't separate out the objects that cast shadows from other objects.
I've tested 2.3 with different render modes with unseen characters,etc with bones and it works fast unlike older builds where there are errors and renders slow. Whatever you guys did its great.
Anyone check this? Old fprime supports it. With alpha matt support and this shadow density surface support, I would say kray is complete for animation. I can render the bg in 1 pass. Render characters in 2nd, then render out shadows in another.
jure

Post by jure »

I'll see what we can do...
- Jure