What improvements would you like to see in Kray next?

General disscusion about Kray

What improvements would you like to see in Kray the most?

Better/faster GI rendering
20%
Better network rendering
4%
Displacements
15%
Better Instancing
10%
GPU rendering
14%
Better integration with LightWave
9%
Improvements to Physical Sky
9%
Better motion blur and DOF
3%
Better Antialiasing
13%
Buffers improvement
3%

Total votes: 392

Janusz Biela

Re: What improvements would you like to see in Kray next?

Post by Janusz Biela »

jrandom wrote:After much experimentation, this is what I'd like to see:

1. Much better anti-aliasing.

2. Animation-quality (ie. flicker-free) final gather that is feasible on a single hefty home computer (as opposed to having to rent out a render farm). This one is such a big deal that I bought the PBRT book and am going to try my hand and writing a renderer just to see how difficult a task this really is.

3. Micro-poly displacement would be phenomenal. This is what allows for realistic terrain and tree bark w/out multi-day render times per frame.

1. I think with AA G. can do something else, but not much. AA is AA. Is not big difference between V-ray and Kray.
2. Hmmm with this You have to ask Erwin. But I don`t see big problem with render animation. I know is a bit problem with share GI. But this need just understand how to do. I don`t render animation, but I know is not big problem with render farms for example BNR. Everything working good. Problem is only with render ONE SINGLE IMAGE on BNR but not with animation.
3. In progress full displacement 8)
jure

Post by jure »

2. Animation-quality (ie. flicker-free) final gather that is feasible on a single hefty home computer (as opposed to having to rent out a render farm). This one is such a big deal that I bought the PBRT book and am going to try my hand and writing a renderer just to see how difficult a task this really is.

3. Micro-poly displacement would be phenomenal. This is what allows for realistic terrain and tree bark w/out multi-day render times per frame.
Thanks. You should see improvement in all of those areas in v3.
- Jure
slv

Post by slv »

the possibility to changed exposure image after the render was done!
the possibility to changed lighting source (switch on or off or vary intensity ) as maxwellrender can do it ( perhaps it's easy to integrated if image is calculated in 128 bits.)
a preview physical sky in opengl viewport (for a better control of sun position / north)
slv

Post by slv »

the possibility to have envelope button ( hours for example ) in the physical sky for used it in animated sun
larry_g1s

Post by larry_g1s »

jure wrote:Thanks. You should see improvement in all of those areas in v3.
How's dev. going for v3? Any rough ETA? :)
Larry V

Romans 1:16
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is
the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes.
pantarei

Post by pantarei »

I would like to have a script to import all vray material and preset
something working at 100%
azman_821009

Post by azman_821009 »

Finally I just bought the latest version of LW 10 and no more crashed & works really fine ;). But I have 2 problem here which is the Kray instancing and huge/complicated 3D objects.

For the Kray instancing, it took too long for the rendering even I already reduce on the objects with Kray surface. Secondly when I put the high poly objects (mountain model in Zbrush & high poly car), Kray became crashed but when I rendered in native LW everything looks fine.

Hope Kray will improve the render speed and the instancing for the V3. :D
larry_g1s

Post by larry_g1s »

azman_821009 wrote:For the Kray instancing, it took too long for the rendering even I already reduce on the objects with Kray surface.
I just had this same issue with Kray. I wanted to render out an animation sequence with Kray, but the instancing was taking WAY too long & I'm using LW's engine with HDInstance. So this would be a nice upgrade for Kray.
Larry V

Romans 1:16
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is
the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes.
jure

Post by jure »

It'd be nice if you guys could show what was taking too long so we can try and improve it in future.
- Jure
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

larry_g1s wrote:
azman_821009 wrote:For the Kray instancing, it took too long for the rendering even I already reduce on the objects with Kray surface.
I just had this same issue with Kray. I wanted to render out an animation sequence with Kray, but the instancing was taking WAY too long & I'm using LW's engine with HDInstance. So this would be a nice upgrade for Kray.

....I do not think so...If You will setup instace with variation size of X,Y,Z this must be slow or very slow, becouse each object is calculate seperately....
If Youn will put tree with one milion poly and You will clone it by subpatch or points - You can render miliards poly without problems very fast...but when You will setup separately each instance (x,y,z seperately) this must be looooong 8)
but....PROXY this is which we need in future. Special file made in Layout (all instances there) During the render Kray will take from PROXY only this part which is render actually without loose memory . In scene You don not need keep all oryginal objects (this is now in Kray waste of memory) Scene is create by two files: oryginal scene (buldings, furnitures, cars...etc) and Proxy (all cloned files) In Layout You will see BOTH but Proxy will by only as preview cloned object....but this is future... :D
jnom

Post by jnom »

jure wrote:

Thanks. You should see improvement in all of those areas in v3.
Any news on v3 or any stuff that's being worked on currently by kray team?
Nothing specific but a hint of which features currently planned for kray v3 on a weekly or monthly basis would get some more activity in the forums.
jure

Post by jure »

I can't say much right now since things are still in heavy development. The only thing I can say is that we are focusing on things you guys voted for the most.
- Jure
jdomingo

Post by jdomingo »

jure wrote:The only thing I can say is that we are focusing on things you guys voted for the most.
mmmm voting for the most, i cant see the pole for "free upgrade for new version"....... :D :D :D just kidding.
i am willing to pay for upgrade and quote me on this one, but as long as the upgrade is worth waiting for. the suspense is killing me. could you just reveal atleast one new feature on v3 that would make me excited? :D :D
HappyMantis

Post by HappyMantis »

Well "we are focusing on things you guys voted for the most" is pretty clear to me :) Maybe pick up 3 or 4 from the most voted stuff and guess that here you have kray 3.0....hooo gpu rendering would be so smooth!
jwiede

Post by jwiede »

I'm strongly against a free version upgrade, actually. I think a reasonably-priced upgrade would be much better for everyone. The lack of profit incentive is a big part of why plugin authors leave the market, so ensuring they're receiving some reward for all their hard work is a very good thing in my book. These guys put a LOT of work into Kray, and deserve something from customers in return for that hard work.

People get so tied up in wanting stuff "free", they never think about the fact that the development costs come from somewhere regardless. Taking up all someone's free time, or even group of someones' time, while providing no ongoing reward over extended periods turns into a really strong incentive for them to find better, more productive ways to spend their free time.

Far better to pay reasonable upgrade fees each time, and know they feel like they're getting some nominal reward for their hard work and time spent. Even then, plugin authors rarely make significant money, but at least a nominal reward gives a bit of an emotional incentive to continue, letting them know others would sacrifice to obtain their work. Customers demanding hard work for free all the time turns into demotivation very quickly.