What improvements would you like to see in Kray next?

General disscusion about Kray

What improvements would you like to see in Kray the most?

Better/faster GI rendering
20%
Better network rendering
4%
Displacements
15%
Better Instancing
10%
GPU rendering
14%
Better integration with LightWave
9%
Improvements to Physical Sky
9%
Better motion blur and DOF
3%
Better Antialiasing
13%
Buffers improvement
3%

Total votes: 392

jure

Re: What improvements would you like to see in Kray next?

Post by jure »

lightwave3d wrote:plzzzzzz any new about Kray 3 :D to bit Vray for EVer :evil:
We are working on it. :)
- Jure
Keraressi Abdelkarim

Post by Keraressi Abdelkarim »

Wow i know So best wish if i can help i learn what kind of this programing or magic to help Kray :D for free . to win speed and more feautres idea ex... :D more and more Best Wish Mindberries :D the best
jure

Post by jure »

lightwave3d wrote:Wow i know So best wish if i can help i learn what kind of this programing or magic to help Kray :D for free . to win speed and more feautres idea ex... :D more and more Best Wish Mindberries :D the best
You can start with Python. :)
- Jure
Keraressi Abdelkarim

Thank u Very much i will learn a lot give 3 weeks :D ^^
jwiede

Post by jwiede »

jure wrote:
jwiede wrote:So if you're going multi-platform, that would seem to imply a new, separate material/surfacing engine as well. One of the things that Vray has, and which would be really nice in Kray, is both more physically-realistic/calibrated materials, and support for specialized materials. An example of the latter would be the VrayDistanceMtl, which portrays distances of meshes shown (refl/refr/etc) on a surface. For the former, being able to produce libraries of real-world materials with optical properties calibrated to their real-world counterparts would be very useful for ArchViz and Product work, and potentially open additional revenue opportunities as well.
Yes this is also on our roadmap. It's probably not yet going to appear in v3 but probably soon after.
Jure, I'm a bit confused, if you're not producing your own material/surfacing solution in V3, how precisely do we express surfacing to V3's engine during rendering? There's got to be some level of surfacing support, correct? Or are you just saying it won't be much different from what's in V2 in V3? I've been studying what little documentation there is on surfacing in V3, but it seems like a lot of details are missing about the surfacing models in use, and so forth. Is that info hiding in the V2 docs somewhere?

Thanks!
jnom

Post by jnom »

any v3 builds yet?
nakan14

Post by nakan14 »

I would like to see kray with plugins for integration with other software. Integration with the Luxology Modo and Blender would be strategically for a huge expansion of the base of users of the kray and gain space that would be occupied by Vray in future.
Keraressi Abdelkarim

i wish we have kray in all other software . cz in my case i can work with other guys who using 3ds max i come to do for them render :D xD .

and ofcourse for other 3D package . but the best for me . its integrate slightly with Lw 3D .
mopa

Post by mopa »

Hi and sorry,
Question : "What improvements would you like to see in Kray next? "
Answer 1 : just see Kray 3
Answer 2 : Kray 2.6 that fixe all bugs i have with LW 10.1 (LW 11 and 11.5 same bugs) - crash after 2nd rendering or crash when i change set up… . It's so hard to work like that (losing works, losing time, losing money, losing pleasure …)
I understand that you are working ( hard) on that new Kray. Hope you understand me ( us).
I read that you need " beta tester " for MAC : it's ok for me. How can we do that…

So please, please a new Kray
( other answer about new Kray: a free upgrade or correct price for owner)

See you and again sorry guys

mopA
a French architect
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

mopa wrote:Hi and sorry,
Question : "What improvements would you like to see in Kray next? "
Answer 1 : just see Kray 3
Answer 2 : Kray 2.6 that fixe all bugs i have with LW 10.1 (LW 11 and 11.5 same bugs) - crash after 2nd rendering or crash when i change set up… . It's so hard to work like that (losing works, losing time, losing money, losing pleasure …)
I understand that you are working ( hard) on that new Kray. Hope you understand me ( us).
I read that you need " beta tester " for MAC : it's ok for me. How can we do that…

So please, please a new Kray
( other answer about new Kray: a free upgrade or correct price for owner)

See you and again sorry guys

mopA
a French architect

Hello!
I understand your angry no doubts....
The beta test phase starts in this month (around half of September).
Since 2 years I have not problems with Kray at all (except some small bugs which can by avoid without problems) - so if you have problems contact me DIRECTLY via SKYPE: biela1972 , will help you.

About beta test on MAC: send request to jure@ardevi.si (Jure)

Because K3 will be completely new product then K2.x, also Price will be different (I can not tell more, because this up to creator)

Now cold water from me with negative thinks.
There is a lot software for render:

- Maxwell - You need really good Hardware - minimum 64 threats but I recommend 100 threats and more. Surfacing system has too many not necessary physic - Yes! is no joke...try make something good - you will get crazy.NOISE, NOISE and again NOISE. Render basic plastic surface take years because is too many physics which standard users does not need. In my opinion is great software, my number two after Kray...but speed which offer make me sick. There are a lot GUI fireworks and modules, updates every 2-4 months, a lot ready surfaces, displacement and million others. But is one BUT, the SPEED. If you are small company, without render farm, without big projects then forget about it for next 10 years and do not waste time. Another way: minimum to make something with sense are 2 machines with Dual Xeon (64 threats). Also forget animation with this speed.

- V-ray - on the front of you "great" modelling tool Max3D, very expensive software and millions tutorials which teach...nothing. Is just big commercial machine for producing money. Is your choice to enter this word. Btw , personally I tried THREE times jump to max+V-ray and I gave up. I have no patience for that kind of software. Of course are a lot incredible good renders from this soft which comes from: huge amount of users (this must generate good renders), skilled users (there are maybe 30-50 people masters and really sharks, but remember huge amount of users)

- Moodo - they call great modelling tool - I can not confirm, but changing Modeler+LWCAD for Moodo because this last one is 10-20% better with modelling has no sense (I can not confirm it because I do not know Moodo at all) About render engine: is somebody will show me good exterior/interior from this engine? I do not talk about studio renders with gears, mobile phones, metals balls - this can do each software very well. I talk about QUALITY RENDERS - RAZOR RENDERS.

- Octane - on the start go to shop with 2.000 Euro in pocket. Render without minimum two Titanium GPU has no sense. Somebody answer: hey I saw nice interior renders on single Titanium or even worst - yes but with Direct GI and Occlusion shader which make render very artificial . To get really good effect from this software you need FULL PATH TRACING + minimum 5 bounce lights and is no doubts . Small problem is with studio render or open areas scenes but real problems starts in interiors where photons must be calculated in huge amount of data which affect....noise. You will never give up this noise , this is impossible. You will just stop render in moment when noise starts be "comfortable". Another story with Hot Pixels, but not now. No chance for animation with this software.

- LW Engine Native Render. Personally Last time I used this engine in 2004.... And really I have no freaking Idea why they not talk with G. to attach Kray to LW as native render or support him. Actually I still did not find any part from LW native engine which would be better then Kray (GI, tone mapping, speed Final Gathering or QMC, AA, blur). They promise all the time revolution in render engine and they end up in Evolution.
There are not software greater then Lightwave. Last updates has really big steps. But the most important part in LW are missing: THE RENDER ENGINE. Kray try fill this space but because software is very complicate, system of Nodes very rich, a lot new features in last 4 years - this affect a lot problems with compatibility (non stop must be change code of Kray, because new updates in LW or new function) and make suffer Kray users.

Personally I do not see any solution for furies or not content users. Nothing is good at all....so I stick with Modeler, LWCAD, Kray and perfect Layout. Why? because I know this stuff very well and I do not pay attention for crappy commercial mumble. I love rendering with Kray and LW and I am content with my knowledge which allow me non stop break new barriers in renders. Let say true: good renders quality are up to personal skill/art (imho 80% of all), software (rest 20%) is just tool and even crap software in good hands can make great thinks :wink:

My text has sense only in one case: if we talk about standard user with singular computer, with low budget, rendering for pleasure or for small projects. But this is about 60-80% of all :wink: If you are in not this group do not read this texts...ups all ready to late :lol:
mopa

Post by mopa »

Ok…
I am using that trio to : LWcad,LW and Kray (and Photoshop…). For me it is (or it was) the perfect package. I really do not want to change. i want to have pleasure (again). I am not angry just disappointed when LW crash… all the time because Kray seems unstable. I understand that all thoses softwares are optimized for PC and that it's a hard work. I'm a mac user that like simple things that work easily…
I gonna upgrade LW 10.1 to LW 11.5 ( after have written this text) i still believe in LW, i'll do the same thing for LWCAD when 4.6 or 5 version will come. And i will DO THE SAME THING with KRAY3.
I will ask for bet tester… and i'll contact you like you (thanks…!)

I have forgotten 2 things for next Kray.
1-Like i said, i use Photoshop too… I know that with CINEMA 4D a friend recover easily all selections he wants (surface, object,…) in Photoshop ( a sort of Object ID or Surface ID not in image but in selection). Somebody says to me that V-ray does that thing too. i'd like to do that with the next kray.
2- i can't this Kray render an image the edges of object ( using properties of Object > Edges > silhouette or shared etc…) i'd like to do that with the next kray.

See you very soon

mopa
not an angry bird

PS : excuse me for my bad english i'm not use to…
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

mopa wrote: I'm a mac user that like simple things that work easily…
Ahhh sorry I did not notice You have MAC perhaps I missed information. Yes with MAC is problem in LW 11.6. Grzegorz told ma last time he bought MAC specially for Kray to response faster bugs.
mopa wrote: I have forgotten 2 things for next Kray.
1-Like i said, i use Photoshop too… I know that with CINEMA 4D a friend recover easily all selections he wants (surface, object,…) in Photoshop ( a sort of Object ID or Surface ID not in image but in selection). Somebody says to me that V-ray does that thing too. i'd like to do that with the next kray.
2- i can't this Kray render an image the edges of object ( using properties of Object > Edges > silhouette or shared etc…) i'd like to do that with the next kray.
I use ID Kray system with great results (soon will show my animation of Osaka Church - then you will see how primitive ID maps works well). I am not sure but in V-ray exist option to render ID map separately in channels (RGB?) Why that? because is much easier extract part of renders by separate channels R or G or B then RGB Image. But really I am not sure. Only missing is Volumetric and vector motion. First one I would love have and last one will be replace by new system of motion blur in Kray which will be independent from Antialaising phase.
mopa wrote: See you very soon

mopa
not an angry bird

PS : excuse me for my bad English i'm not use to…
People who knows subject well doesn't need be skilled in foreign language.
My English is also bad and by the way I learned English because of my history with Kray :wink:
Mario

Post by Mario »

Guys, is Kray 3 going to be a standalone version or still a plugin?
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

Mario wrote:Guys, is Kray 3 going to be a standalone version or still a plugin?
Kray is standalone from the beginning but this situation make support only for obj file format , no Area Lights, no Nodes, no Subpatches. This is standard situation in all kind of software. Only importing Kray by SDK Kray to Lightwave plugin make fully connection. Same situation in Sketchup Google or Maya. Writing Fully working Standalone needs I think a lot of job and money (Maxwell, Octane) because must be written in code all functions from software 3D (for example from Lightwave would be: Subpatches, Instances, animation system, physical lights, Nodes etc).
I am not coder :wink: but logically that it works. I think much easier is to write standalone Kray as core and after that import it by SDK to another software for example to LW plugin. If Newtek add something new to Lightwave then Grzegorz must write in code only this part which is responsible only for new function.
Good example of standalone software is Maxwell, but this make a lot limits (You can not full use all functions from Lightwave)
3dream

Post by 3dream »

khan973 wrote:Even though GPU rendering could improve things, something is missing.
A VPR.
Tweaking materials take ages as there are no way to preview them correctly. We have to launch a render each time because we need to work the textures under the same lighting conditions.
I don't like this workflow, it's time consuming. FPrime's render is too far from Kray's one to be useable.

I hope you guys can come with a good solution!
I have found a simple workflow for this, it's not perfect but works.

Change your color space to sRGB. Select preset Linear and then change DISPLAY OUTPUT to sRGB. This will make vpr look closer to a tonemapped KR render.

But agree, would be great to have GPU VPR even if it's just for preview and not final rendering!!!!