What improvements would you like to see in Kray next?

General disscusion about Kray

What improvements would you like to see in Kray the most?

Better/faster GI rendering
20%
Better network rendering
4%
Displacements
15%
Better Instancing
10%
GPU rendering
14%
Better integration with LightWave
9%
Improvements to Physical Sky
9%
Better motion blur and DOF
3%
Better Antialiasing
13%
Buffers improvement
3%

Total votes: 392

jnom

Re: What improvements would you like to see in Kray next?

Post by jnom »

jure wrote:
jnom wrote: So I guess its better to focus on making kray multi app compatible. Octanerender did this and even with a very very poor integration with host app, they were successful in generating huge sales with some promo and have strong userbase.
That's what we are trying to do now.

Clearly a good direction. But pls dont try to do what newtek is doing in the hc forums. :wink:
jwiede

Post by jwiede »

So if you're going multi-platform, that would seem to imply a new, separate material/surfacing engine as well. One of the things that Vray has, and which would be really nice in Kray, is both more physically-realistic/calibrated materials, and support for specialized materials. An example of the latter would be the VrayDistanceMtl, which portrays distances of meshes shown (refl/refr/etc) on a surface. For the former, being able to produce libraries of real-world materials with optical properties calibrated to their real-world counterparts would be very useful for ArchViz and Product work, and potentially open additional revenue opportunities as well.

If the price can be kept sufficiently lower than VrayForC4D or MentalForC4D (former at, and latter well past $1000US per seat), you may want to consider C4D as a fairly large target userbase. C4D's built-in render engine is less than stellar, and those competitors are both rather expensive. As an added plus, C4D appears to offer excellent material/surfacing integration capabilities for third-party render engines (based on the excellent integration seen by both of those mentioned, Maxwell Render, etc.).
jure

Post by jure »

jwiede wrote:So if you're going multi-platform, that would seem to imply a new, separate material/surfacing engine as well. One of the things that Vray has, and which would be really nice in Kray, is both more physically-realistic/calibrated materials, and support for specialized materials. An example of the latter would be the VrayDistanceMtl, which portrays distances of meshes shown (refl/refr/etc) on a surface. For the former, being able to produce libraries of real-world materials with optical properties calibrated to their real-world counterparts would be very useful for ArchViz and Product work, and potentially open additional revenue opportunities as well.

If the price can be kept sufficiently lower than VrayForC4D or MentalForC4D (former at, and latter well past $1000US per seat), you may want to consider C4D as a fairly large target userbase. C4D's built-in render engine is less than stellar, and those competitors are both rather expensive. As an added plus, C4D appears to offer excellent material/surfacing integration capabilities for third-party render engines (based on the excellent integration seen by both of those mentioned, Maxwell Render, etc.).
Yes this is also on our roadmap. It's probably not yet going to appear in v3 but probably soon after.

About C4D, we are looking for developers that would help us port Kray to C4D and other applications but so far we had little success... Still on the lookout though...
- Jure
jnom

Post by jnom »

If kray can keep the price low for 3dmax and c4d, this will be a huge market. Did I mention octane render doing well on multi platform? And its not even as developed as kray is. They were also able to get developers fast for different appz. I don't know how much money they offered but one lw dev should know, Walfridson did the lw plugin for octane. You can probably ask the same people that did their respective versions to do one for kray. They're at octane forum with their own plugin thread.
There's always a market for renderers. 3dmax has final render, brazil, vray, etc, which have their own followers. I have no doubt kray will be successful on other platform. It is almost as good as vray less the animation and compositing capabilities so the first buyers would probably be archiviz people. Lots of them around willing to pay :mrgreen:
zonah

Post by zonah »

Improvement to phy sky are great.
I have some ideas:

1.- Use light how Sun : I like if you do something how a checkbutton called Link with Light, and we select what light be a Sun.With this we can control perfectly Sun orientation
2.- Day light animation: This need to include a frame loop range to specify duration, and range hours too if we like to personalize to a simple few hours.
3.- Clouds: Any system that work in union with Instance. Doing Volumetric clouds instanced with options for color, size, speed, direction, etc....
bigstick

Post by bigstick »

I wonder how feasible it would be for the physical sky to link time of day with shadow softness and sun intensity...
salvatore

Post by salvatore »

jure wrote:Hi,

since development of the next major Kray version has begun we would like to hear your opinion about which improvements would you like to see in Kray the most.

This will help us in plan our development cycles better and hopefully make you happier too! :)

You can select up to 3 options.
I hope this small donation is helpful to grow Kray
jure

Post by jure »

Thank you Salvatore! :)
- Jure
djwaterman

Post by djwaterman »

I've been using Vray of late so have a better appreciation of what it offers. I see you are wanting to implement some kind of Kray materials for the future (post version 3), what about Kray Lights, specifically area lights that can have a texture mapped to them. Anyway I'm looking forward to version 3 when it comes along.

Also found this link to a 3D world call out on Spinquads. It might be a nice idea to have a version 3 Kray tutorial prepared for the release.

http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthre ... -needs-you!
medzo

Post by medzo »

just checking ... how are things with kray3 ? Any relase dates yet ?
jure

Post by jure »

medzo wrote:just checking ... how are things with kray3 ? Any relase dates yet ?
Working hard on update but sorry can't give you any estimates yet.
- Jure
medzo

Post by medzo »

i would be nice if kray 3.0 would be able to set recurse setting per surface not just globaly. especialyy with exteriors where its good to have less bounces but sometimes you have multiple glass panels covering each other...
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

medzo wrote:i would be nice if kray 3.0 would be able to set recurse setting per surface not just globaly. especialyy with exteriors where its good to have less bounces but sometimes you have multiple glass panels covering each other...
Yes that`s the really good question and request . I would like also.
jure

Post by jure »

medzo wrote:i would be nice if kray 3.0 would be able to set recurse setting per surface not just globaly. especialyy with exteriors where its good to have less bounces but sometimes you have multiple glass panels covering each other...
Yes it's on to-do list.
- Jure
Keraressi Abdelkarim

Post by Keraressi Abdelkarim »

plzzzzzz any new about Kray 3 :D to bit Vray for EVer :evil: