What improvements would you like to see in Kray next?

General disscusion about Kray

What improvements would you like to see in Kray the most?

Better/faster GI rendering
20%
Better network rendering
4%
Displacements
15%
Better Instancing
10%
GPU rendering
14%
Better integration with LightWave
9%
Improvements to Physical Sky
9%
Better motion blur and DOF
3%
Better Antialiasing
13%
Buffers improvement
3%

Total votes: 392

vpii

Re: What improvements would you like to see in Kray next?

Post by vpii »

Would be cool to see something like this for Kray.

http://solidrocks.subburb.com/
jnom

Post by jnom »

I wish kray devs would give us some point updates on a weekly or monthly basis.
That way we could test out the added feature and report if it has any bugs. This is why 3dcoat is successful and so fast to evolve.
I've been asking exr and alpha matt improvements for nearly 2 years now. I don't think its that hard to implement as a point update.
The kray engine update and all those microdisplacements can take time and understandable to be late. But not all updates should be done at once.
jure

Post by jure »

We cannot release any updates until software is usable to work with. Kray's core is right now like a car engine that was taken apart. Until you put all the bolts back into place it's not a good idea to start it to see how it's working.
- Jure
jnom

Post by jnom »

jure wrote:We cannot release any updates until software is usable to work with. Kray's core is right now like a car engine that was taken apart. Until you put all the bolts back into place it's not a good idea to start it to see how it's working.
So there's a new engine being worked on? Cool! But I think alpha matt settings is the most basic of features. Exr can wait but its 2 years now :mrgreen: . Anyway I know kray dev is a just a few people or maybe just two people so I'm patient even after 2 years.
khan973

Post by khan973 »

Hummmm
It's not like Alpha was not there and had to be implemented. We have them but they don't work properly, A fix would be great. Having to render via LW just to get the Alpha is a real turn off. That's the main reason why I don't use Kray in production.
thomas

Post by thomas »

Strange.. That's exactly the reason why I don't need nor desire alpha channels in Kray. I can do that in vanilla Lightwave. I'd prefer Kray to develop strengths in areas where LW doesn't already have the functionality.
jnom

Post by jnom »

khan973 wrote:Hummmm
It's not like Alpha was not there and had to be implemented. We have them but they don't work properly, A fix would be great. Having to render via LW just to get the Alpha is a real turn off. That's the main reason why I don't use Kray in production.
Exactly. Its near impossible to render in passes with kray without full support for alpha and matt settings. I don't think its that hard to implement. Octanerender did it in a short time via nodes.
I also requested a shadow catcher material similar to shadowdensity or vraymaterialwrapper. This helps to render objects separately and faster workflow than rendering in single pass all the time.
jure

Post by jure »

khan973 wrote:Hummmm
What do you mean exactly?
- Jure
jnom

Post by jnom »

Jure please take a look at this simple scene.
The alpha doesn't respect render flag setting for the sphere.
Also this sphere if you were trying to get only the shadow pass of its ground plane without the sphere in the alpha, its not possible in kray. Lets have bi weekly builds and update not like core. Lol
Attachments
alpha.zip
(8.11 KiB) Downloaded 325 times
jure

Post by jure »

jnom wrote:Jure please take a look at this simple scene.
Also this sphere if you were trying to get only the shadow pass of its ground plane without the sphere in the alpha, its not possible in kray. Lets have bi weekly builds and update not like core. Lol
Yes, I know you need this. Alpha properties are not supported in Kray currently. But with Kray 3.0 this should work just fine. When software is ready for testing it will be released but currently we are not there yet. I know there has been quite some time since last update but Grzegorz is working as fast as he can... It's just the nature of the job that you cannot rush things.
- Jure
jnom

Post by jnom »

jure wrote:
jnom wrote:Jure please take a look at this simple scene.
Yes, I know you need this. Alpha properties are not supported in Kray currently. But with Kray 3.0 this should work just fine. When software is ready for testing it will be released but currently we are not there yet. I know there has been quite some time since last update but Grzegorz is working as fast as he can... It's just the nature of the job that you cannot rush things.
Thanks jure. Is it a paid upgrade to get those basic features? Hypervoxels too render faster in kray but with no support for alpha its pretty much useless.
Would it be good to have something similar to pmg messiah campaign for kray? I know that octanerender and messiah used the same campaign and according to them they have enough funding to last more than a year with the sales generated from a cheaper price. They were also able to hire developers after. More developers the faster a software grows and then a good paid update again but now more users.
Selling kray for 50-99US probably 500 lw users will buy kray than 400US only 50 lw users.
jure

Post by jure »

jnom wrote: Thanks jure. Is it a paid upgrade to get those basic features? Hypervoxels too render faster in kray but with no support for alpha its pretty much useless.
Would it be good to have something similar to pmg messiah campaign for kray? I know that octanerender and messiah used the same campaign and according to them they have enough funding to last more than a year with the sales generated from a cheaper price. They were also able to hire developers after. More developers the faster a software grows and then a good paid update again but now more users.
Selling kray for 50-99US probably 500 lw users will buy kray than 400US only 50 lw users.

Yes that works just wonderful in theory. But from what I have been able to gather LW user base has already been exhausted. What Pmg and other guys did is good when you can target large 3D audience, unfortunately we are limited to LW userbase that has shrunk a lot in last years.
- Jure
jnom

Post by jnom »

jure wrote: Yes that works just wonderful in theory. But from what I have been able to gather LW user base has already been exhausted. What Pmg and other guys did is good when you can target large 3D audience, unfortunately we are limited to LW userbase that has shrunk a lot in last years.
You have a point. The lack of any hardcore updates for months now probably drove off more lw users :mrgreen:
That is my point though. When a company doesn't post anything and say anything about progress, users tend to go away unexcited.
So I guess its better to focus on making kray multi app compatible. Octanerender did this and even with a very very poor integration with host app, they were successful in generating huge sales with some promo and have strong userbase.
jure

Post by jure »

jnom wrote: So I guess its better to focus on making kray multi app compatible. Octanerender did this and even with a very very poor integration with host app, they were successful in generating huge sales with some promo and have strong userbase.
That's what we are trying to do now.
- Jure
slv

Post by slv »

I don't know if this thing is already said here!
ID surfaces can see the clip map in transparency surface éditor channel ( useful for leave per example )