Hiding luminous polygons, does it work in Kray!?

General disscusion about Kray
Pheidian

Hiding luminous polygons, does it work in Kray!?

Post by Pheidian »

Hello all!

I stumbled across interesting Node technique to hide luminous polygons from reflections also. I know if you use unseen by camera, your polygon is shown in reflections, so there's no way of hiding it, or is there!?

Please all Internal testers, comment is this already supported on Kray, and if not, would it be possible to quickly get this integrated to next release:

From newtek discussion:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80025

A solution: if you're using LW9, in the Node Editor, add a Spot Info node, connect Sampled Ray to a scalar math Invert node, and connect that to Transparency. This will make your polygon opaque only when it's being viewed by a "Sampled Ray", which is any ray in LightWave that is marked as being part of a multi-ray sampling process, such as radiosity or blurry reflections.

This is the most needed one for me, to hide luminous panels that light up my rooms...
weepul

Post by weepul »

That technique doesn't but here's one that does (and, depending on your goals, might work better):

Set up the surface to be 0% transparent, 0.01% luminous. In the node editor, connect a Refraction node to Specular Shading. Add a KrayIndirectRays shader and put the Multiply value at 100 times your intended luminous percentage (so 100% would be 10000).

As best as I can tell, these panels won't even block radiosity light, so they're completely invisible except for the light they cast.
G5 Quad 2.5GHz, 2.5 GB RAM, GeForce 7800GT, Mac OS X 10.4.11
Pheidian

Post by Pheidian »

Great! Seems you know a lot of different techiques, wasnt that you who also helped with that Newtek problem? :)

Great stuff, gotta try this out next time I need luminous polygons to light up something, though skyportals seem to make them pretty much unneeded from what I've heard... :)
Haven1000

Post by Haven1000 »

Pheidian wrote:though skyportals seem to make them pretty much unneeded from what I've heard... :)
That is exactly the case, you can turn off Sky Portals visibility via the kray sky portal shader, but obviously Weepul's technique would still be useful in light map mode.
"Place your vote now for the Kraydar pixel filter"