grass instance ver 2.0

Here you can share your Kray related materials, scenes, objects or whatever you think may help other users on our forum.
Janusz Biela

grass instance ver 2.0

Postby Janusz Biela » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:18 pm

Update texture , idea and model.
Attachments
grass_v2.png
grass_v2.png (197.05 KiB) Viewed 5486 times
grass_ver_2.part2.rar
(2.97 MiB) Downloaded 1367 times
grass_ver_2.part1.rar
(3 MiB) Downloaded 1214 times

archijam

Re: grass instance ver 2.0

Postby archijam » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:14 pm

So many downloads, so few replies ;) ...

Cheers JQ - can't wait to give these a whirl!

larry_g1s

Postby larry_g1s » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:59 pm

Hey Johny, Matti just told me that you had posted the objects for the grass...thanks so much!
Larry V

Romans 1:16
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is
the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes.

done

Postby done » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:43 pm

Excelent work man! Nice idea :)

I was wondering how are people going about adding points on an unsqare piece of land? These points need to be dense, i got some flat ngons where the grass patches need to be, so subdividing it to a fine grid would not work without first getting some even quads over it. I tried spraying some points/leveling/merging them, but that leaves a lot of cleanup around the terrain. Im sure there is a quicer way to go about this?

Thanks, and cheers!

Janusz Biela

Postby Janusz Biela » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:32 pm

iblagdan wrote:Excelent work man! Nice idea :)

I was wondering how are people going about adding points on an unsqare piece of land? These points need to be dense, i got some flat ngons where the grass patches need to be, so subdividing it to a fine grid would not work without first getting some even quads over it. I tried spraying some points/leveling/merging them, but that leaves a lot of cleanup around the terrain. Im sure there is a quicer way to go about this?

Thanks, and cheers!

Best ides is make net from points (50 x 50 m square with half width size of grass) after that use jitter under modeler (smal for Y 3 cm and bigger for XY - half of gras witdh) why? becouse for big squre when You use random size in Instance Shader - Kray very log compute evry cloned obiects.....

If You have holes in gras You can make bigger density of points....

done

Postby done » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:19 pm

Just a quick render, i thought its best to attach an image to illustrate the problem :)

Im trying to figure out the least painful way of planting some grass on the green grass texture parts in the scene, making a square grid and removing the parts that are outside is getting complicated. Next thing im gonna try is to make a simple spline patch to get quads that fit the curved area, then SD it to get a finer grid of points. I might try the usual route of HD instance if all else fails :)

BTW im looking forward to post some of these once they get finished, first project using kray alone.
Attachments
fromabove.jpg
just a quick shot of something im working on

jure

Postby jure » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:24 pm

iblagdan wrote:Just a quick render, i thought its best to attach an image to illustrate the problem :)

Im trying to figure out the least painful way of planting some grass on the green grass texture parts in the scene, making a square grid and removing the parts that are outside is getting complicated. Next thing im gonna try is to make a simple spline patch to get quads that fit the curved area, then SD it to get a finer grid of points. I might try the usual route of HD instance if all else fails :)

BTW im looking forward to post some of these once they get finished, first project using kray alone.

Isolate grass surface. Spray loads of points on another layer over the whole area. Use "set value" Y for all points so that they are some meters above the grass surface. Use KO_pointfit plugin and drop the points ont your grass. Now you can easily remove points that didn't stick to your grass...
- Jure

3dworks

Postby 3dworks » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:40 pm

jure wrote:Isolate grass surface. Spray loads of points on another layer over the whole area. Use "set value" Y for all points so that they are some meters above the grass surface. Use KO_pointfit plugin and drop the points ont your grass. Now you can easily remove points that didn't stick to your grass...

or use px_clone from pictrix with one single point instance to literally 'spray' points onto every kind of surfaces! it's a big fun to do so :)

cheers

markus

done

Postby done » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:59 am

Isolate grass surface. Spray loads of points on another layer over the whole area. Use "set value" Y for all points so that they are some meters above the grass surface. Use KO_pointfit plugin and drop the points ont your grass. Now you can easily remove points that didn't stick to your grass...

Ah, nice one... i did something similar, its just that instead of the pointfit plugin i extruded the points over y and inderesected the geometry, killed of the polys and wound up with points on the geometry. This however is a quick enough to make it usable :) TY

Heres the link for pointfit in case someone references this in the future:
http://www1.plala.or.jp/Otsuka/graphics/LIGHTWAVE.HTML

Also, ty to 3dworks, but i dont feel like paying 50$ for another plugin right now :) It does sound very useful though...

Janusz Biela

Postby Janusz Biela » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:23 am

This is my grass, if You have bad quality this mean: You have bad light or too small plants around scene (this is very IMPORTAND puting evrywhere plants and buldings for blocked light) This scene have hundreds trees and bushes around scene after that we have good contrast and shadows becouse we received maybe under 50% of light from Sunsky and sun...

Son next update ver 3.0 :lol:
Attachments
grass.jpg

done

Postby done » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:11 pm

Damn Johhny, you are a hard man to keep up with :)

Ive tried to make your grass more simple, i cant seem to get over using blurry reflection on such a scope, makes me feel wierd :) (actually im getting away using it much more than on any engine so far).
I used some gradients along the y distance to give the tips more translucency, and just some spec on the grass, just wanted some more control over it.
However, i cant get near the nice colors youve achieved, ive got the place surrounded a bit with walls, trees and buildings.

Can you share what youve changed before putting up 3.0 version, im quite anxious to try it out.

Cheers!

Return to “Kray depo”