Kray/V-ray

Please post finished works here.
Janusz Biela

Kray/V-ray

Post by Janusz Biela »

My friend ask me to test this scene in Kray, so I did. The reasons of that was for me test this interior with only one source of light (in V-ray scene is HDRi). Of course on the right side is Area Light (I think also in original scene also) because is impossible to get that shadows and power of light from HDRi , especially when on the left side are big windows...
Also I had to tweak Physky Kray to receive similar effect as from HDRi (personally I do not use HDRi as source of light in Interiors and Exteriors, in my opinion they are not good as source of light at all, producing a lot of bad photons and too big spectrum of colors. Of course are some special situation when they are necessary)
Sun from Physky has huge smooth of shadow (100) ...also I do not like, but the target was to receive similar effect (not the same because is not possible).
So before K3.0 old Kray engine still rocks and surprise :wink:
Attachments
Star.jpg
V_ray.jpg
brownie

Re: Kray/V-ray

Post by brownie »

Really stunning ; could we see the Vray version to compare ?
Keraressi Abdelkarim

Post by Keraressi Abdelkarim »

nice work janus kray rock as always :D (Y) :mrgreen:
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

brownie wrote:Really stunning ; could we see the Vray version to compare ?
Is under my renders with name "V_ray.jpg"
khan973

Post by khan973 »

Wow! your render looks way better.
I really love your shading, especially the couch!
cruisermori

Post by cruisermori »

Great renders from KRay thanks to your set-up of course :? Did you use Photonmap or Lightmap for this render? I like you fabric materials. They look very natural.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

cruisermori wrote:Great renders from KRay thanks to your set-up of course :? Did you use Photonmap or Lightmap for this render? I like you fabric materials. They look very natural.
Actually I used QMC because PM can not render enough samples (that's why I tested this scene...even very strong setup in Final Gathering could not achieve good level of sampling. I think this is some problems in Kray engine. Anyway in K3.0 we will fix this problem).
Fabric material has almost no setup, is just my basic node . I think good GI sampling , light and tone mapping make most of good effect. What I changed is: Power in Kray 0.5 (but still recurse 10) and tonemap exponential mixed with gamma (not LWF). The funny think is: when on the right side I used lumi poly, Kray render this scene longer then with Area Light! That's strange.
pantarei

Post by pantarei »

Great Stuff Janusz
brownie

Post by brownie »

Janusz Biela wrote: Actually I used QMC because PM can not render enough samples
Does it mean render times were extremely long ?
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

Thanks pantarei!
Does it mean render times were extremely long ?
Actually the time distance between extreme setup Final Gathering and QMC starts be enough small to give up Final Gathering (Besides the fact I could not still achieve still good sampling quality - I think is something wrong in engine - even when I used 4 passes. Also Path Tracing render is extremely long - but this is normal, there no another way for Path Tracing in interiors: must be long (I talk about recurse 10, because for recurse 3 situation can be profitable in Path Tracing besides problems with glass).
Here QMC setup (rest are not important) 1600/1200 pix time render 1:20h. Because I like experiments I saved Photon Map and then I rendered whole image in three parts with option Load and Limited Region under LW (this can be useful also in two computers or more). Render was connected under Photoshop (of course You will not see connection because this is QMC and Photon Map was saved before)
Attachments
ScreenShot062.png
ScreenShot061.png
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

Here render with same setup but in Path Tracing mode with recurse 3 and zero photons. Time 50 min (3 times longer then QMC)
Attachments
Path_3_recurse.png